Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 pm 

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a compact digital camera for my husband (and me, when I can get it from him). We're just about to enter retirement and are looking forward to taking some photos of the trips we finally have time for.

I'm having trouble Googling reviews about the best compact digital camera for us, however, because the models that rank the highest seem to have all gotten there because they can do everything. My husband can't handle "everything" in a camera. What we want is a really great little camera which would fit in a pocket or small bag, which takes sharp pictures and has true-to-life-color like the old SLRs did. All the camera reviews I've found so far have done nothing but confuse me because of the way the ratings include a mass of features like Wifi, GPS, and movie making - none of which we would use. I don't know how to filter it down to the basics we need: quality photos, great color, simple handling, good battery life - and oh, my husband's hands shake. That's also a factor.

I was hoping that someone here would intuitively know what sort of compact digi camera I'm trying to describe. I'd do much better in this decision-making process if my choices were fewer. Comparing half a dozen semi-finalists would be a cakewalk compared to what I feel that I'm facing now.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Jera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:40 am 

Hi Jera,

Welcome to the forum. Have you found Gordon's Best point and shoot camera page yet?

Those bells and whistles don't have to be used, of course, and the reviews should still tell you all you need to know about image quality and ease of use. It might help forum member's with their suggestions if you could give us some idea of your intended budget.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:01 am 

You might also want to prioritize a camera with some kind of image stabilization. Although, depending on the severity of your husband's hand tremors, the stabilization may or may not be able to compensate.

Also note that even analog film had "white balance", and filters (on the lens and/or the flash) were used to alter this further. And even more alterations could be done in the darkroom. So there's really no such thing as "true-to-life color" even with SLRs. But most modern digital cameras can do a decent job as long as you take the time to set the white balance appropriately for the light source. i.e. sunlight, tungsten, incandescent, etc. That said, each manufacturer does have its own digital processing engine, and they do have different "looks". So it wouldn't hurt to have a look at a few sample images from the major manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, etc.) to see if you prefer one over another.

Lastly, if you'd still like more specific recommendations, in addition to budget, it would also help if you told us what you plan to take pictures of. I know you said trips/travel, but that could be anything from artwork in a gallery to the Grand Canyon to whale watching, each of which is better suited to a different camera.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:24 am 

Hello there Bob and Mark -

Thanks, yes, I spent a lot of time on Point and Shoot page. I'm still combing through it. And because of it I have my eye on the Canon PowerShot SX240HS for now. Granted, the battery is apparently a weak point, but I think a good work-around would be to have a second battery handy. My budget goes up to $350 (€250 - I live in Germany).

@ Bob - I agree that the extra features don't have to be used. IF, in fact, a simpler model of camera is still to be found on today's market, I'd be quite interested if for no other fact than I don't have to pay for unused tech. My logic is that if most of that went into super sharp pictures rather than things like fold-out screens - WOW! That's all this lady needs. :D

@Mark - You're absolutely right about the image stabilization. I never heard of "white balance" before. Thank you for that. I'll look into the concept to get a better feeling for it. The intended subjects of our photos will be scenery, vacation portraits, and moving trains (hubby's passion). Hope this helps narrow things down.

I'm already settled down here with my morning coffee and will go through more reviews at the site. Thank you for the warm greeting to the forums.

-Jera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:48 am 

Hi Jera, have you looked at the Fuji X20?
Not saying it WILL be what you want, but worth considering I reckon; http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Fujif ... ndex.shtml

It's around £340 (UK price) I bought one for my better half. (& myself :mrgreen: ) It comes in all black, or the more retro, black & silver.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:45 pm 

Ohh, Carlos -

That Fujifilm X20 looks so wonderful! It's above my set budget but it's looks so sweet! The sample photos looks great, and the lens comes with four stabilizing modes - good for shakey hands! The poor video performance really doesn't matter to me at all. Regardless of breaking my budget, it's coming into the group for semi-finalists!

Thank you for the heads up!

-Jera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:51 pm 

Hi Jera,

Until you can get down to a store and fondle the goods (recommended if you possibly can) you might find camerasize.com useful. Here's X20 vs SX 240 HS to get you started. :)

Bob.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:08 pm 

Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi Jera,

Until you can get down to a store and fondle the goods (recommended if you possibly can) you might find camerasize.com useful. Here's X20 vs SX 240 HS to get you started. :)

Bob.

Ultra hug for you!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 am 

Hi Jera, sorry I can’t help with recommending a PnS, you haven't mentioned what type of shooting you intend to do. Its always difficult with a first camera choice and have you thought about a used model. Do you need a zoom, its worth considering as down the track your needs may change.

I wouldn’t be concerned about white balance unless you are going to shoot indoors, most cameras get it pretty right on auto in daylight.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:33 am 

Just wanted to note that the 4X zoom of the Fuji should be sufficient for "scenery, vacation portraits, and moving trains". Not to say that the additional 20X zoom of the Canon couldn't come in handy elsewhere. On the other hand, unless you plan to shoot some evening/night scenery or indoor portraits, you really don't need the Fuji's faster/brighter lens. i.e. the Canon should do fine in daylight.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:48 am 

@ 4xxxx - Hi! It seems this got lost in all the text:

Jera07 wrote:
The intended subjects of our photos will be scenery, vacation portraits, and moving trains (hubby's passion). Hope this helps narrow things down.

I'm already settled down here with my morning coffee and will go through more reviews at the site. Thank you for the warm greeting to the forums.

Thanks for pointing it out.

@ Mark - Indoor portraits are also part of what I class as 'vacation portraits' - they would also encompass shots in European coffee houses and restaurants with low lighting (our vacations are rather slow and leisurely nowadays). Some of the most memorable shots Hubby got were spontaneous ones at night while out walking in a sleepy town, a bit blurry, true, but full of memories. The Fuji has already moved to first place on my list. Your added info has just reinforced that position. Thank you!

-Jera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:40 am 

The Fuiji X20 is our choice! Thank you to everyone who took the time and energy to share here in this thread of the forum (referring to the "Buying A New Camera..." thread). I can honestly say that I wouldn't have come across this model - or even known what I was looking at - if I hadn't had the help.

Thank you all!

-Jera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 am 

Hi Jera,

Congratulations. I hope you'll continue to drop by and share your experiences and, if you wish, some photos with us. 8)

Bob.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:46 am 

Enjoy, Jera. 8)

As Bob says, please keep in touch & let us know how you go on.