Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:51 am 

Hi,

My priorities are :
1) Excellent lenses for landscape and archtecture shooting (wide angle (24mm), ultra wide angle (10 to 18 mm) or even fish eye)
2) Excellent still and video quality (mic input)
3) compacity
4) better if in body image stabilization
6) general purpose usage for my wife and kids
7) durability (may exceptionaly used in extreme hot temperature and dust (desert in africa))
Budget : under 2200 $ with ultra wide lenses
my current possible choice : sony alpha 7 (no wide angle lenses yet ?) , sony alpha 6000 (E-mounted lenses) , olympus omd em 1 or 5 (with Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0 Lens type), panasonic GH3 (with zuiko lens) etc...
which one would be the best given the above list ?

during my reading on the web it seems that for landscape shooting : "bigger the sensor better the result" FF (3/2) and APC-S (3/2 (1.5 crop)) or much better than mico 4/3. is it really what you guys tested ?
is full frame really better than micro 4/3 or APS-C for landscape or architecture shooting given the same type of wide angle lense ?
Regards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:38 am 

moussoro wrote:
during my reading on the web it seems that for landscape shooting : "bigger the sensor better the result" FF (3/2) and APC-S (3/2 (1.5 crop)) or much better than mico 4/3. is it really what you guys tested ?
is full frame really better than micro 4/3 or APS-C for landscape or architecture shooting given the same type of wide angle lense ?

It terms of how much you can get into the frame, full-frame is beneficial but that's down to physics and geometry rather than what we test.

While focal lengths remain constant, they appear different depending on the size of the sensor as the field of view is reduced (the crop factor). At 18mm, for the sake of argument, on an APS-C sensor, the ~1.5-1.6x crop factor would result in a frame looking like you're using a full-frame sensor whose focal length is set at ~27-28mm. Though the aspect ratio is different, a Micro Four-Thirds sensor at 18mm would be the equivalent of ~36mm on a full-frame sensor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:55 am 

Hi moussoro,

I created it a rather scary 6 years ago but my thread Full-frame or Cropped Sensors: Which is best for Landscapes? might be of interest.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.