Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:31 am 

Hi, I am new and would appreciate some advice on a purchase of a camera, I am considering the following
Sony nex6
Panosonic G6
Olympus Pl5
Fuji x m1
Sony nex 5t

I am looking for the camera with best quality photos, fairly uncomplicated controls, and good value
Thank you for your time

Post subject: Re: advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:39 am 

When choosing between interchangeable lens systems (Fuji, Sony, m4/3 (Olympus/Panasonic)), the first thing you should look at is the lenses, not the cameras. i.e. do they have the kind of lenses you need/want? are these lenses within your budget? (and since you seem to be gravitating toward the smaller end of the spectrum: does the entire package -- camera body with lens attached -- still meet your size requirements?)

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:26 pm 

Mark, thanks for the reply, the cameras I am looking at come with the lens offer by B&H, here are the specs for the cameras

* Sony Alpha NEX-6 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 16-50mm Zoom Lens

* Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens

* Olympus E-PL5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R Lens

* Fujifilm X-M1 Mirrorless Digital Camera with XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS Lens

* Sony Alpha NEX-5T Mirrorless Digital Camera with 16-50mm Lens

I understand about the lens making a difference, but my my budget is limited around $800.00, and any of those listed will be a huge upgrade to my current camera - Sony DSC-HX9V

Again thanks, and I would deeply appreciate any advice offered

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:03 pm 

All of those are so close in specs, and overall the image quality will be nearly identical in virtually all types of photography unless you really start to push the limits, which it doesn't sound like you're ready to do - and all of those have nearly identical kit lenses that are very basic, covering a short and nearly identical focal range...so to be perfectly honest, you'd likely not see any difference in image quality or performance between any of them.

Most cameras with larger sensors and interchangeable lenses perform very very closely to eachother - the only time you begin to see differences where one may have advantages over another is when you really start getting into challenging photography - extreme low light without flash, panning and tracking moving subjects, sports, etc. For almost all casual shooting, portrait, landscape, scenic, travel, family, macro, etc...any person would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between shots taken by a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or Sony DSLR, or Fuji, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Canon, or Nikon mirrorless camera.

Go with the one you like the feel and design of, the size of, the one that has some particular features you like or want, the best price...or look to the future as to whether you intend to grow your lens collection beyond the basic kit lens and making sure whatever lenses you see in your future are available in that mount. Coming from a travel zoom camera, you may want more reach in the future, so price out the zoom lenses with more reach (ie: 140mm to 300mm at the long end lenses).

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg