Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:53 am 

Hello,

I was wondering if you all could recommend me a camera that's good at video and photo. I used to own a Panasonic LX5 but I gave it to my brother cause he needed a camera. So I'm looking to upgrade to a more advanced camera. My budget is $2000 max for the body.

Here are the cameras on my shortlist:

m4/3
Panasonic GH3
Pros: good video, lens selection, clean HDMI out, body construction, headphone jack
Cons: EVF concerns, moiré in video

Panasonic G6
Pros: good video, peaking, lens selection, EVF better than GH3's based on reviews
Cons: plastic body, hard and plasticky eyecup, no clean HDMI out, no headphone jack

APS-C
Canon 60D
Pros: cheap, Magic Lantern capabilities, lens selection
Cons, non-100% VF, moiré in video, 70D is coming, no clean HDMI out, no AF microadjustment

Canon 70D
Pros: innovative sensor for video, Wi-Fi, weathersealing, lens selection, future Magic Lantern capabilities, AF microadjustment
Cons: unknown image and video quality, non-100% VF,

Nikon D7100
Pros: excellent image quality, 100% VF, headphone jack, build quality
Cons: lack of aperture control in LV, low buffer

Full Frame
Canon 6D
Pros: excellent image quality, Wi-Fi and GPS, lens selection, future Magic Lantern capabilities
Cons: moiré in video, non-100% VF, no built-in flash, no headphone jack

What I need most is image quality because I'd like to improve my photographic skills. I'm also interested in video.

I'm leaning toward Canon at the moment because I like the way they feel in my hand, its 2 wheel interface, Magic Lantern capabilities are interesting. But I'm open to other brands as well.

What do you all think?

Many thanks in advance!

Nicolas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 pm 

Seems to me you've got things sorted pretty well, so it's just a matter of prioritizing. e.g. do you plan to use an external recorder and/or external monitor? If not, then clean HDMI out isn't a big deal. Also, if you don't plan to use an external monitor or loupe, then a vari-angle LCD becomes more useful. Or do you plan to use a cage/rails/follow focus? If not, then peaking isn't a huge deal. Do you plan to record dual-system sound? If so, then a headphone and/or mic jack isn't a big deal. etc.

And personally, I found it a little odd that you mention Magic Lantern, but not the GH2 hack. You also didn't mention the codec advantage the GH3 has over the G6.

Mark

P.S. Full disclosure: I shoot video on a (hacked) GH2 and T4i (650D) and plan to upgrade to a 70D (and Black Magic camera).