Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 pm 

This time next year I hope to be in Australia starting my year long working holiday Visa.

I currently have a Canon 40D but I am looking to downsize slightly as I feel its a tad on the heavy side for traveling around.

The main use for the camera will be capturing photos for my food blog and also for capturing moments of my travels.

I'm looking to spend £300-£400.

Any suggestions?

edit : I haven't spent any money on additional lenses so I am open to changing brands

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 am 

You need something with a macro mode and that starts at an equivalent focal length of 28mm or wider (24mm would be better). Since you have a standard zoom for your Canon, I would guess a superzoom is not necessary.

I think you have 2 options - mirrorless or large sensor compact. Both are more compact without over-compromising on quality.

You have many options, but also lots of time. The market will look different by the time you need the camera.

The best value out there is currently with the micro 4/3 cameras. The Panasonic GF3, G3, and Olympus EPM1 can all be had for under £250 with the kit lens if you shop around. The G3 is the best value with the newer sensor, but all have a sensor far larger than any compact you would be looking at.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 pm 

Awesome thanks. I have been looking at the G3, seems to be a nice camera!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:37 pm 

kimchi wrote:
You need something with a macro mode and that starts at an equivalent focal length of 28mm or wider (24mm would be better).

What is there in food photography or general moments of one's travels that warrants having a macro mode?

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6