Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:28 pm 

Mr.Bell wrote:
Well just to update this thread, we actually ended up getting a Sony NEX 3n. We went to purchase the LX7 but where told the NEX 3n had a sensor 8 times bigger. Whether this is true or not I have little idea, the Sony has an APS-C sensor.

Also just to confirm...the salespeople were correct re: the sensor size...the NEX sensor (APS-C) is roughly 8x larger than that in the LX7 (1/1.633").

You may want to get to know some of the advanced features of your NEX too which can really help when shooting landscape and mixed-light shots in hiking environments, especially mountains where light differences between valley and peak, and north vs south faces, can be drastic...try the DRO settings on by default, set to Auto, to help deal with minor dynamic range differences, try the HDR mode which takes 3 frames in camera and blends into one to capture very wide shadow and highlight differences in landscapes (can be set to Auto, or manually set from 1 to 6 stops), and get to know the HHT (Hand Held Twilight) mode, which takes 6 frames very quickly and stacks them into one shot, allowing you to shoot in very low light or dusk conditions handheld, raising the ISO to high levels while still avoiding the noise and loss of detail that can result in high ISO shots - you can shoot at ISO6400 and get results as clean and detailed as you would expect with ISO400 in a single frame.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:46 pm 

Justin,

Many thanks for this information, I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to give us these pointers. I shall email this thread to my wife who will no doubt find it very useful. We where told about the feature where images are combined, or something like this.

One thing I have tried is the panorama function. You pan to the right, don`t even need a tripod. The camera sorts out all the images, and valla a straight image.

I can understand why these types of cameras are starting to outsell entry level DSLR cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:20 am 

Understandable :). Just keep the G-series in mind in case you decide you do want to switch :).

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtkoopmans/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:35 am 

Good choice! With the 16mm f2.8 pancake lens, it's not a whole lot larger than the RX100. And although the lens is a stop slower, the larger sensor should make up for that, and the lens also a bit wider. You also must've found a good deal. Normally, an NEX 3n + 16mm f2.8 would go for around the same as an RX100, not an LX7.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:11 pm 

I will keep that in mind MTK :mrgreen:

Mark well I haven`t a clue, I think we got some discount as it was a cash purchase. Bear in mind though it was paid in AU not US dollars, so there is a difference there for a start.

As for the lense you mention, thanks for that, however this is not my camera, I don`t use it at all.

Its a great little camera, but not my thing really, I did read the Cameralabs review on the NEX7 though. It is tempting, but quite pricy and one of the lenses was I think $1`500 so not exactly cheap. Still for what the camera does, in its size there is a very good argument for switching from a DSLR.

Not sure I could stomach getting rid of my D700 and Nikkor lens if I where to go this route, maybe if it where for a Leica I would reconsider.

Very surprised how good the NEX models are mind you.