Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 pm 

My wife and I are going to have our first child and we're looking for a camera that can take good pics and video for long lasting memories.

We are trying to judge between these two cameras, we can get a nice discount on either one. Which one is better for the money? FYI we really want a tripod so if you choose the Canon do you know where we can get one that's compatible?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

http://www.shopnbc.com/Canon_EOS_Rebel_ ... text=canon

OR

http://www.shopnbc.com/Fujifilm_FinePix ... ext=tripod

p.s. when I was in 2nd grade I told the class I was going to be a wildlife photographer. I'm 26 now and I've NEVER owned a camera. Excited to finally explore photography.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:00 am 

First off, congratulations!

Now for the bad news: neither camera is well suited to your needs. The small sensor and slow lens of the Fuji won't do well indoors. And the video implementation on the Canon is ... well, let's just say it's appropriate for a stripped down model, which is what the T3/1100D is. (i.e. no full HD, slow AF, clip size/time limit, etc.) That said, if forced to choose between only these two cameras, I would probably go with the Canon and add a fast/bright prime for better quality stills (and forgo video until I could afford a dedicated camcorder, which most folks are better off doing anyway; video on a photography camera is always a tricky proposition).

BTW I'm not a Moderator, but forum rules frown upon posting the same question in multiple sections - Mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:51 am 

Welcome to the forum! :)

I would definitely chose the Canon Rebel, of the two, though for an active toddler, a lens upgrade would be a good idea, something like a 28mm or 35mm non-zooming, fixed-focal-length "prime" lens. Of course, an infant will take a bit of time to become a toddler, allowing time to save for the "faster" lens. If affordable, the new 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm Canon lenses, with 2.8 apertures and Image Stabilization, are examples of "faster" lenses aimed at the video-shooting users, who want Image Stabilization.

My first digital SLR camera was a Canon Digital Rebel XTi, a distant ancestor of the T-series you are considering. It was, and still is, capable of capturing images of fast-moving children and dogs, though it preceded the era of video-capable digital SLR cameras, so I cannot offer advice on video. (I remain uninterested in video, in spite of owning a pair of quite video-capable Canon 7D cameras today.)

Any decent tripod will work with the Canon; tripods and mounts intended for modern cameras are, normally, universal.

While I have only partially addressed your questions, I hope I have typed something useful, and this reply will "bump" your topic upward a bit.

Edited to add: Keep in mind that ordering from the sellers found by clicking on the "support me" tab, above right, will benefit this forum and site financially, by way of a small referral fee with each sale. Moreover, sellers such as Amazon, B&H, and Adorama are known for excellent prices, ethics, and customer service. The seller in your links is completely unknown to me.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II