Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:04 pm 

Hi, good day. I am new to the Digital SLR's and I am really torn between the Canon T4i and Sony Nex6....Can anyone give me some tips?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm 

They're somewhat different cameras so it would really help if you said what your plans and expectations are.

Have you handled or used them both?

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 pm 

As Rorschach already pointed out, they are actually quite different both physically and the way they actually work.
Have you ever handled a DSLR like the T4i? (I'm assuming you're upgrading from a compact point-and-shoot, am I right?)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:30 pm 

Hey folks thanks for the replies. I am upgrading from a point and shoot, yes. I will primarily use it for taking day to day pictures, but I want something that will give me great professional shots. From doing all of the reading, it seems to me that the Sony is nice and compact and easy to carry around, whilst the Canon is a bit bulky. But looking at the images, it seems that the quality of pics from the Sony is not as good as that of the Canon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:44 pm 

Here's the dilemma you're having: these two cameras aren't directly comparable to some degree, as the Canon is a DSLR and the Sony is a CSC. Each system has its pros and cons. Take a little time to research the difference between a DSLR and a CSC, that will help you decide which suits you better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:33 pm 

Hi jamaljames, I'm new here too and I was having the same dilema as you not too long ago, having decided that I wanted to learn how to take better photos.

After much research on the world wide web - various camera forums, reviews everywhere, YouTube video reviews, What Camera magazine.... the list goes on, I finally decided that a CSC would be more practical for me after initially thinking that I wanted a DSLR. The main reason behind that thought was that I didn't know anything about CSCs... that was until I started looking into different cameras and options! :roll: It is bewildering; almost like there is too much choice and information out there, and if you are not used to the photography language, then you have a swift introduction to this and camera techniques too... :wink: You do end up feeling like you just want someone to tell you what to get.... :shock:

In the end though, I decided on a CSC mainly for portability as I will be taking it on our travels. The additional lenses for micro 4/3 mirrorless cameras are much smaller too, though this doesn't necessarily equate to being cheaper! Once I decided on the type of camera, it was back to what seemed like endless researching for the type of CSC to go for. In the end I realised that I'm not knowledgeable or experienced enough to need the top of the range, all singing - all dancing camera, and no one else was going to make that decision for me either, so it was just down to what I could get for my budget.

One piece of advice given on this forum which proved to be useful was to go to a shop to see the cameras in the flesh, pick them up, etc. I did find this very helpful as it reaffirmed my thoughts that I would find a DSLR (and future accessories) too bulky to carry around. The salesman wasn't particularly helpful in the way of advice, but it was useful handling different cameras, so again it was back to my own researching when I returned home.

In the end I went for a pre-owned Panasonic GX1, which I got for a pretty good price along with a couple of extra lenses from a well known online auction site. I finally decided on the Panasonic range as there is more choice around for the lenses; likewise with the Olympus mirrorless range.

During my researching I came across Gordon Laing's Working Holiday article and videos - his camera of choice for his travels was a CSC, so it would be worth you taking a look at http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Working_holiday/. I'm not plugging the GX1 at you (I don’t even know it well enough myself yet), but it's useful for considering the whole concept of CSC mirrorless cameras and the quality of the photographs they can produce.

I hope this is of some help to you. :)

Sarah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:28 pm 

jamaljames wrote:
Hey folks thanks for the replies. I am upgrading from a point and shoot, yes. I will primarily use it for taking day to day pictures, but I want something that will give me great professional shots. From doing all of the reading, it seems to me that the Sony is nice and compact and easy to carry around, whilst the Canon is a bit bulky. But looking at the images, it seems that the quality of pics from the Sony is not as good as that of the Canon.

The image quality potential from both of these cameras should be quite on par - there's no reason either one should be significantly better than the other. It's hard to base the decision on looking at sample photos from people, as it has more to do with the skill level of the shooter and the lenses used - if you looked at 10 sample photographers from each camera, and 8 of them were experienced on one camera, and 8 were complete amateurs on the other, it would make the latter seem worse. Truth is they both have the same size sensor and the same image quality potential. They're very different cameras in style, design, and each has strengths and weaknesses - it's more important to decide which would work best for your needs.

A DSLR tends to be much bigger, heavier, bulkier. A mirrorless APS-C camera like the NEX will tend to be slower to track focus on a moving target, have a more limited lens selection, and has no optical viewfinder. Smaller body usually means smaller buffer (how many continuous shots you can take before the camera slows down) and smaller battery life. But it also means more portable, lighter, smaller lenses, electronic viewfinder (which has some advantages over an optical one, and some disadvantages).

If you're primarily coming from P&S cameras, then optical viewfinders are likely not going to be a need or an issue - you've never had one before, so it may not be necessary. If you're going to be shooting primarily scenics, landscapes, portraits, snapshots, etc, then focus tracking ability, buffer size, and burst speed likely aren't going to be key issues - a mirrorless can yield just as good results as a DSLR. If you intend to shoot moving targets, sports, birds in flight, or other subjects that require continuous tracking focus and panning skill, a DSLR will be a much better tool.

I've been shooting with both a DSLR and a NEX mirrorless camera side-by-side for over a year - I can verify 100% that there is no discernible quality difference between the two...if I posted two shots, one from each camera, you would not be able to tell which was which. The sensor size is identical, the resolution is identical, the depth of field is identical, and the rest is up to me as a photographer getting the exposure, color, and focus correct. As long as I'm using equally good lenses on either camera, there's absolutely no quality difference. But I know there are times when the mirrorless camera's advantages of portability, size, and discretion are highly desirable, and other times when I need the larger DSLR's tracking focus, big buffer, and big battery life, as well as the heftier grip and weight to counter-balance big long lenses.

I'd guess that the mirrorless camera will probably suit your needs easily enough, can deliver pro-quality results if you decide to invest the time to learn more about photography and get more lenses for it for each situation, and will be lighter, smaller, and more convenient overall. I'd recommend considering the DSLR route only if you think you'll need the faster tracking focus or the bigger body for ergonomics, or intend to really get deep into the hobby and want very specialized lenses that may only be available in the larger lens collection of the DSLR mount.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:30 am 

I have no regrets purchasing my Canon Rebel T4i. The more I learned about it, the more I find it a fascinating camera. Since I know very little about the Sony Nex 6, this information is going to be a little one sided.

The T4i is a perfect introduction to beginning as well as professional photography. It can be set into specific modes for types of shots (portrait, landscape, macro, etc.), advanced modes (shutter Sv or Aperture Av preference), and A+ mode that will determine the mode automatically. It's very flexible in this way.

But, the T4i has something that most cameras do not: Full Articulated Touch Screen. It works just like your smart phone. It can also be angled up, down, and front. Every function that you would normally use buttons on the back of the camera to access has been implemented as touch screen buttons, menus, sliders, shutter button, scrolling, multi-touch pinch-zoom, etc. I find it faster many times to use the touch screen than many buttons.

It is bulky. I solved this by also buying the Canon PowerShot G12; it cost less than a lens. I keep both cameras on me most of the time in one backpack (see signature below).

It has a viewfinder where the Nex 6 doesn't.

If you are photographing people, you're more likely to have them agree to a picture of themselves if you're using a DSLR camera.

I'm not that knowledgeable on Sony, but the Sony Nex 6 is a mirrorless CSC type camera with interchangeable lenses. Most lenses for these cameras are not usable on DSLR versions of the same brand, however I'm not sure for Sony. Using DSLR lenses on a mirrorless camera usually requires buying a pricey adapter.

To rap it up, T4i is easy to make great pictures.

Canon Rebel T4i / EOS 650D
lens: EF-S 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM
lens: EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II
lens: Tamron SP 60mm F/2 Di II 1:1 Macro
Canon Speedlite 380EX flash
Canon PowerShot G12
Canon AE-1 Programmable w/55mm, 200mm, & 24mm lenses
bag: Lowepro® SlingShot 202AW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:19 pm 

Don't forget to take a look at the Nikon D5200 if you're considering a dslr (and maybe also the D7000 around the same price atm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:19 am 

PalaDolphin wrote:
I'm not that knowledgeable on Sony, but the Sony Nex 6 is a mirrorless CSC type camera with interchangeable lenses. Most lenses for these [CSC] cameras are not usable on DSLR versions of the same brand, however I'm not sure for Sony. Using DSLR lenses on a mirrorless camera usually requires buying a pricey adapter.

It's usually the other way around: you use the larger (longer flange distance) DSLR lens on the CSC body. But yes, the "smart" adapters (with electronic connections, which can enable AF, IS, aperture control, etc.) are often ~$150 (or more). e.g. Sony does indeed make an e-mount body to a-mount lens adapter which is available for around that price. However, there are "dumb" adapters (without electronics, which means any lenses used with them will be full manual only) that can be had for ~$20.

And as long as I'm posting, I'd like to add that I only use my T4i when I'm going to be shooting video and/or when I'm going to be shooting with it mounted on a tripod/monopod (so the camera size doesn't matter) and/or when I need AF with an EF lens. e.g. shooting indoor sports with my EF 135mm f2.0. (note: there's no m4/3 equivalent lens.) Other than that, I'll use my Olympus E-PL5 (because it's quite a bit smaller, but doesn't lose much, if anything, in the way of image quality relative to the T4i).

Mark