Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:20 am 

HELP...Am after a "AA" powered digital camera....My husband and I are doing the Kokoda Track, at Papua New Guniea in April 2013....will be there for the Dawn Anzac Service at Bomana War Cemetery and then walk the Kokoda Track....Excited..
Desperately seeking a "AA" powered Digial Camera, Good MP, Good Optical Zoom, Weather proof/water proof, lightweight, sd card, and am having a hard time in seeking information on cameras in this area...Can anyone help me, please?.. Already have a Panasonic Lumix dmc g10 dslr twin lens kit and love this camera- but am after a good smaller camera, compact, that will do just as good, or better, job with photo's....that is also not too hard on aa battery power, as I will be carring all my own gear....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 am 

Hi Welcome aboard.
I would suggest that you stay away from AA powered batteries, personally I find that the battery life is poor. The little Li Ion hold their charge well, last long and are small and cheap enough that you can take two or three. The camera will also be smaller in size.

Canon make a waterproof D20, my brother has one that he takes diving/snorkeling. It takes a NB-6L batteries and if you google for those, they are cheap enough.
My brother already had the Canon S95 and by coincidence the Canon D20 uses the same batteries.

I have to admit, I appreciate that you are hiking, but I would be tempted to take the G10 and a spare battery or two. Its already light and small for what it is and then maybe add the D20 or something similar as a back up.

here is some reviews
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_D20/

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 pm 

Well I wouldn't agree completely with you maxjj. Actually AA batteries can last pretty long, especially if you're buying lithium AA batteries, although the downside is that they are not rechargeable. Fortunately though, there are rechargeable NiMH AA batteries, and they last pretty long and they are also pretty quick to recharge. I'd just recommend not to buy standard AA batteries as these do last pretty brief periods of time.
But also, AA batteries can be bought almost anywhere, so for someone traveling, an AA battery-powered camera is pretty good in my opinion.
Now, if size is really important, an AA powered camera might not be for you, but I think you'd have to see it for yourself.
Also, I'm not sure if there are any cameras that can be powered both by AA batteries and a Li-Ion battery without any adapters (I own one, but it's a bit old), but if you can find one, it might be a pretty nice camera, it's pretty versatile in my opinion.
Maxjj already recommended some pretty good Li-Ion powered cameras, but if I may recommend an AA powered compact, it would be the Canon SX160 IS, while it might not be waterproof, it's pretty cheap and you can buy a waterproof case for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:49 pm 

Morning.. Thank You for your quick replys to my post.... Unfortunately I came down with a bug and was sick for few weeks. Now up running again. Looks like I will have to change tactics and research weatherproof/waterproof compact cameras. Have sine spoken to our Tour Leader/Guide. He takes many pre-recharged batteries with him.... Apparrently they had much, much rain last year on trip, so water/weather proof is another key and compact. Once again Thank You to my Two Quick Repliers, very much appreciated it. Kim
:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:22 pm 

Glad to hear you're fine :)
If you have any more doubts, don't hesitate to ask