Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:40 am 

Hi,

I need help choosing a cheap camera for my 8 year daughter, ASAP. The cost needs to be about £50 ($85). I would like the best image quality (for the price) and it should be easy to use. It doesn't need to have lots of features or mega pixels.

The current short list includes:
Fujifilm Finepix F500EXR
Nikon COOLPIX L25 or L26

I would welcome comments on the above and any other suggestions you may have.

Many thanks !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:19 pm 

I wouldnt touch a Nikon Coolpix camera if it was given to me for free - Nikon seems to have abandoned its P+S cameras as of late

Id get the Fuji - hell Id look at a AA powered Canon Powershot for 50pounds. The optics are very nice for the price.

If you had the opportunity, I would consider the 65pound Fuji instant printing cameras. They are super popular wiht the teens atm - cause the photos can stick and are like the polaroids of old.

Leo's Flickr Page

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:53 pm 

Hi Leo,

Many thanks for your reply but, oops - I chose the Nikon L25. To be delivered on time, the decision had to be taken quickly.

The problem with deciding on a cheap camera is that they all tend to get bad reviews. A lot of reviews about a particular camera will say something like, 'this camera is mediocre for the money and there are better choices available ' - without saying which model(s) of camera they are talking about. So I went with the Cameralabs.com 'Credit-crunch point-and-shoot' recommendation.

But it needs to be said, my daughter is only 8 years old and is very happy with her new camera and perhaps that's all that matters. Why should her old dad get fussy when she had so much fun taking photographs in the park this afternoon?

I wish you a very happy and successful New Year!