Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:02 pm 

Hello , I have question I want to upgrade from 500D to ..... I can not decide it yet.
I have a camera with 3 lenfs canon 50 1.8 , 10-20 sigma and kit 18-55 with flash 580 and Nissin.

I would like to ask I wanna choose a camera that suit for low light shoot , good in dynamic range and good in WB. I not sure between D5100 , 60D , 7D and D7000. I'm not a professional photographer but I love to travel sometime shoot in low light. I can effort to buy just only this because other than this I think it exceed to my skill. Please help me to choose I really wanna upgrade because if I move to Nik I have to sell all my gear I not sure that 580ex or Nissin can use with Nik built in flash control or not?

Thank you a lot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:23 pm 

Welcome to the forum! It seems that you already have a fairly decent Canon DSLR kit. If you were to switch to Nikon you would loose money selling all your gear. If you know of a reason to switch then maybe it would be advisable. In your case I would suggest sticking with Canon. The 60D is not hugely different in terms of image quality to the 500D so would probably give this a miss. The 7D is a little better but not hugely. The 7D range is due an update so at the moment its a gamble buying one. For your criteria though the obvious option is to buy a full frame camera. This leaves the 5D range as an obvious choice. The new 5D3 is new and very good but also expensive. Take a look at the 5D2 though. As it is now an older model you can get it for a very good price. If you are perfectly happy with autofocus, fps ect with your 500D then the 5D3 may not even be worth the extra money. A full frame sensor will be much better in low light offering better ISO performance.

Hope this helps,

James

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:38 pm 

With a full frame camera the 50mm is the only lens you could use on. But even the old 5D (without any Mark) has a noticably better noise than the 500D.
In terms of low light, the other cameras are pretty similar. I didn't upgrade from my 500D to any other Canon crop frame camera, yet - just because they might be *slightly* better but not really noticably.

The best crop frame sensor you can find at the moment is the one in the Pentax K-5. It's "level" is similar to the 7D but it's noticably cheaper. Still you'd have to sell you gear if you decide to switch to another system.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:01 am 

All reply is really help me to figue out many thing. Thank you a lot , I think I will wait till the end of October because I will graduate frim bachelor degree and may be new DSLR is a gift :). I think I will consider the option between D600 that have a rumor , 5D2 and D5100. All the answer from your guy gave me a second thought about did I really wanna invest a budget in camera just for my fav hobbie. Well , I think that would be good if I buy DSLR that will be my last one I have to think really carefully about my second move.

Thank you all your guys