Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:35 pm 

Before I absolutely lose my mind I thought I would join up and ask those in the know.

I am new to photography and looking to pick up my first DSLR. I have narrowed it down to either the Canon 60D or the Sony A65.

Primary uses will be for shooting sports as well landscapes.

I have used the Sony and have no issue with the EVF except for the fact that you cannot preview the shot on the screen without it also being displayed on the VF, which then causes a slight delay to setup your new shot. Granted you can turn off auto preview to resolve this issue. The camera does shoot shots wicked fast, however, they do not always seem to be in the best of focus. I am wondering if the Canon actually has a better AF system?

I have not used the 60D, however, have used the T3i and it seemed like a decent unit as well.

From a reliability standpoint, you have the OLED EVF on the Sony, so that is obviously another potential point of failure, however, you don't have that mirror flapping up and down like the Canon, so the same could be said for that.

I do not know enough about photography to be able to look at the specs of each unit and determine what is better to have and what is not.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and appreciate your assistance even more!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:21 pm 

I hate to give an indecisive answer but both would suit you fine for shooting sports and landscapes - both of those tend to be dependent on the lens rather than the body.

Even if you understand the specs, you shouldn't solely rely on them to determine which is "better", which in my view is one of the most misused words in photography. What they're like in the real world and how they feel would be far more important.

Have you actually held either camera and used them? No matter what somebody says about which one is better, none of that will mean anything to you if you find that one uncomfortable to hold or you find the menu frustrating or awkward to navigate through.

I'm not saying anybody's opinion is meaningless here but you are best off handling both cameras and making your own decisions, judging which you prefer from there. The camera you prefer using is the one you'd make use of more and with that extra use, you'd learn how to make the most of its shortcomings and in some cases, you may get better results with it than you would with something that's "better" on paper but you use it so little that you don't capitalise on its benefits.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:03 pm 

Thank you very much for the quality response!

Yes I have handled both cameras and find that they feel quite similar...I would tend to think that the Canon felt a tad heavier.

I hear what you are saying in regards to the statement "which is a better camera" maybe that is not the correct wording.

Maybe I should really asked specifics, such as:
  • AF system, does the Canon 60D or the Sony A65 stand out in regards to a quicker / more accurate AF system?
  • Build quality, would you consider either camera better made than the other or are these two cameras that would last a long time.

I simply want to make sure that I am starting with a quality camera in addition to a platform that I will continue on. Meaning I hate to start with the Canon, start buying Canon glass, only to find out that I should have started with the Sony.

Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:46 pm 

dieselpowered wrote:
AF system, does the Canon 60D or the Sony A65 stand out in regards to a quicker / more accurate AF system?

Though I don't like to depend on a dry list of statistics, there's no getting around the fact that the 60D has three times as many cross-type AF points so it would most likely be more accurate with its AF, particularly with fast-moving subjects. For that reason, I would buy it over the A65 if I had to spend my own money on it. For the record, I'm NOT saying that as a Canon owner.

dieselpowered wrote:
Build quality, would you consider either camera better made than the other or are these two cameras that would last a long time.

Though it doesn't have a magnesium body unlike its predecessor, which many considered to be a step backwards, the 60D is no slouch in build quality and I'd expect it to be pretty resilient though I don't put its toughness in the same league as Chuck Norris or the Canon 7D.

I haven't handled the A65 personally but I'd be astonished if its build quality was significantly better or worse than the 60D.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:24 am 

The Sony A100 was my first Digital SLR, now have got a Canon 7D. I try and keep up with what Sony is putting out there and either of the two look like fine cameras. If the Sony A77 had been around two years earlier I would have stayed with Sony.
As mentioned there maybe a bit more sport focus with the 60D, as it has more cross type focus sensors, but I am sure the Sony with 10 frames per second and using the centre spot focus it will also manage to do quiet well.
Don`t forget to budget in memory cards, cleaning cloth for lenses and a bag or some sort. Some Sony cards can be fairly expensive.

There is some great products out there with a huge feature list, how much anyone ever uses, is hard to say, but the Sony has a long list. Like auto focus while filming.
But generally if you stick the camera to aperture priority mode think about iso settings and shutter speed and shoot raw instead of jpg, some it becomes less important. I very rarely use the DSLR for video work, is that important to you?

As your skills improve and you get more into photography, its more about having a tripod or flash or post processing. Ultimately either will be fine its up to you to get the best out of them and how comfortable you are with each body and navigating around its menu system.

What lenses are you look at getting?
Have a look at the lens catalogue and look at what is available and what its costs. The twin lens kits are a good start, but as you learn more you may find large aperture prime lenses and macro lenses a great addition. Large aperture zooms are bigger heavier and more expensive. But in many ways you get what you pay for.
Then there is Tamron, they have some better lenses than the kit lenses at a reasonable price, ie the 17-50 2.8 non VC or the latest 70-300SP. I personally wouldn`t buy the basic kit lenses, only because those two Tamron lenses offer better results for only a bit more. According to the Tamron website they are both available in Sony mount.

Whatever one you choose, you are choosing a path to the Sony or the Canon side and their lenses, you don`t need to upgrade them like bodies. Ultimately bodies are more disposable. I have too much invested in Canon now, so I will upgrade to a new body one day, but its going to be a Canon of some sort.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:11 pm 

If you are looking to buy a good camera, I think either one would be great. As far as the mirror mechanism breaking on the Canon, most DSLRs are built to last at the very least over 100'000 shutter clicks. A lot of DSLRs are known to last for over 200k, and some even in the 500k+ range, including some cheaper models such as the T2i. You will probably be upgrading for other reasons than mirror mechanism breaking.

Keep in mind the other costs of buying the camera: which lenses do you want, and how much are they. Back when I bought my T2i, Canon had the only affordable 50mm f/1.8 lens with autofocus at 99$, for me that made a huge difference.

Think also of the future. If you buy a few lenses and other gear, it will become cost-prohibitive for you to switch your gear. Going from a Nikon 700 to a 5dmkIII or a 5dmkII to a Nikon 800 would be very expensive for someone who had a 24-70mm + 70-200mm + 11-16mm + a few primes.

Sony has great cameras and great lenses, and you can definitely take great pictures with them, as some Sony customers are proving everyday.

However, I believe that the Canon and Nikon communities are a bit more solid, and there's a much greater 2nd hand market for cameras and lenses for those.

It all depends on what you feel is important for your purchase.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:13 pm 

I will admit I am Biased on this topic. I own the Sony A300 and A65.

Get the Sony. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:57 am 

I want to thank everyone for their informative posts...I decided to pick up the Canon 60D with the 18-135mm kit lens as well as the 70-300mm USM lens for $1400.00

I really like the A65, but I am trying to look long term in regards to glass.

Thanks again everyone, by all means, if you have any further feedback, please feel free to share.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:39 am 

congrats, enjoy. :)

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:05 pm 

dieselpowered wrote:
I really like the A65, but I am trying to look long term in regards to glass.

A wise decision. I'm not saying that as a Canon owner (I'm NOT a fanboy) but looking at DSLR ownership in the long term is a smart choice - changing brand can be very expensive, especially with lenses.