Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:03 pm 
Anyone had a chance to hold the Fuji X10 in their hands and if so, what do you think? Would it be worth going that route as opposed to the Canon G1X?

My old P&Ss were Canon Powershots G10 and G12 (both). I liked the IQ on the G10 better if I could keep it as ISO 100, but alas, no more - time to replace due to an unfortunate "incident."

Reading descriptions of both the Fujifilm X10 and Canon Powershot G1X side-by-side is tough. Both look like capable cameras. Out of brand loyalty, habit, and familiarity with operating systems, it's tempting to stick with Canon. That was until someone suggested if I were looking at the G1X, I should give the Fuji X10 a look as well. It's about $200 less than the Canon, and most users seem to really like the IQ. I still have a Canon 580 EX II I couldn't use on the Fuji in anything but manual mode... Hmmm

Also, Gordon's noise review for the G1X looks like it does fairly well in that area.

Need advice from the voices of experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:07 am 

No personal experience with either camera, but if you're interested in either shallow Depth of Field and/or low-light photography (like I am), don't forget to factor in the relative crop factors of each camera. i.e. given the ~4X CF of the X10 vs the ~2X CF of the G1X, the X10's lens is more like a f4.0-5.6 on the G1X, which is basically a stop slower at the wide-end.

If that's not a concern to you, then I'd go with the cheaper X10 - Mark

P.S. also a deal-breaker for me: the X10's LCD is fixed vs the G1X's vari-angle.