Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:20 pm 
Yes, that really does say "downgrading from SLR".

I currently have a D200 and my only lens is a Tamron 17-50 2.8. I don't really do as much photography as I used to and I don't have the funds to purchase additional glass. If I get a bridge, it will be paid for from the sale of the D200 and Tamron.

I do have a P & S (Panasonic TZ5) and I plan on keeping that just for the portability factor and the fact that it doesn't look like a pro camera. People react so much differently when you point a SLR at them!

I have owned at one time a FujiFilm S100FS and I really liked that camera. Here are some concert photos I took using the S100FS:

LINK

The cameras I am considering (in no particular order):

FujiFilm X-S1
FujiFilm HS30EXR

Canon SX40HS

Panasonic FZ150

Nikon P500

I am attracted to the FujiFilm cameras but I do not want to rule out other cameras.

I like the FujiFilm because they're "SLR" like. I really like the focal length and manual focus ring on the lens.

I would like something that will have a good zoom, P, A, S, M shooting modes, the ability to bracket (yes, as in HDR), good in low light, night shooting, RAW.

If I narrowed my decision down to between the X-S1 and the HS30EXR, is the X-S1 worth paying $300 more?

I haven't really been researching cameras and I know there's been a lot of advances in technology. The D200 is about 6 years old. So, I want something "today"! :)

As I said, I am open to all of those listed above. Which one do you think would make me happiest?

Thank you,
Neal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:43 pm 

I had really been looking at the Panasonic FZ150 late last year when it could be had for just over $400. It was sold out for about 6 weeks and many stores still don't have them. Consequently their price has jumped, even some lightly used models selling for closer to $500, so I have done the opposite of you and gone to the DSLR.

Still, of those you listed the FZ150 was my choice camera. I had started looking at the FujiFilm HS30EXR, but just couldn't get enough info on it or the HS33EXR that they show on the FujiFilm website.

Good luck with your search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:33 am 

I'm no technical expert on the bridges, but I think that the lower end Fuji's represent very good value for money. I believe this because the price is similar to a regular 'compact' point and shoot pocket camera.

Saying that though, there are probably some very good compacts around.

I agree with yourself downgrading if you're not using the DSLR to it's full potential or regularly enough; But having it would serve the advantage of it being there when required.

Have you come to a decision as yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:48 am 

Hi Neal,

I'm no expert so I can't offer recommendations but I note that you mention the P500. Nikon have just announced the P510 (link).

One camera you don't mention is the Canon PowerShot G1 X. I've no idea if it is in budget or if the zoom is long enough but the large sensor (almost as big as the one in your D200) in a compact body coupled with a relatively bright lens at the shorter focal lengths might be a good option for concerts.

Just a guess on my part (I've never taken a camera to a concert) but if I've piqued your interest check out Gordon's preview. You might not have to "downgrade" at all. :lol:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:53 pm 

£400 at least Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:03 pm 

It's not for me! :P

The G1 X may not be what is wanted but I've posted links to a couple of reviews over in the official thread which may be useful.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.