Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon 1 vs Sony NEX
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:14 pm 
I've been looking at picking up a CSC to complement my DSLR for when I don't feel like lugging all my kit around with me, and have been following the market closely for the last few months. I've been going round and round comparing specs and haven't really got any closer to deciding between the different options. At the moment though, the Nikon V1 and Sony NEX-7 are at the top of my wish list, mainly due to their in-built EVFs, which I think I would miss on the lower-end models.

The large range of MFT lenses available makes it quite an attractive system overall, but none of the bodies from Panasonic or Olympus really do anything for me. In contrast, I really like the look of the V1 and NEX-7 in terms of performance and features, though they both have their drawbacks. One drawback common to both cameras is the lack of lenses available for each. The Nikon 1 system has just launched, and while the lenses already released are of a decent standard, there aren't many to choose from. There are a few more E-mount lenses available, but all of them are too large for the NEX system to really be considered a 'compact' system, despite the small size of the bodies. They really need some decent small, fast primes IMO - the only one currently available is only 2.8 and is borderline UWA, let alone the fact that the performance is pretty dire. I honestly don't know whether Sony is that out of touch with market demands or whether they are just not capable of making them.

Coming back to the V1 though, and my main concern isn't the comparatively small sensor (I had my doubts initially but after seeing the real-world performance of the sensor and I've been quite impressed by it), it's whether Nikon is going to take the system seriously and release a camera that caters for enthusiasts instead of pandering to the masses. Even the higher end, expensive V1 lacks any form of advanced controls - far removed from the triple controls dials on the NEX-7.

Anyway, that's probably enough incoherent rambling for now. I guess my main questions are the ones no one will know the answer to, but I will ask them anyway as I feel they are the most important in making my decision and I would be interested to hear other's opinions on them: do you think Sony will improve their lens lineup to include a smaller, more diverse range of fast(er) primes and zooms, and will Nikon ever take the 1 system seriously and make it more appealing for more advanced users instead of, for the want of a better phrase, the 'Apple crowd'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:23 pm 

Because of the sensor size of the Sony I don't think there will be so many more small lenses in the near future, so if the small size matters, I'd go for the Nikon. Nikon... well... they are one of the biggest camera producers so I hope they will take the 1 system serious. But most of the possible users don't.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:42 pm 

According to SonyAlphaRumors Sony has modified its E-mount roadmap and may introduce a number of pancake lenses this year. I'm looking forward to the 'G' class standard zoom they'll release this year myself...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:20 pm 

The Nikon 1 can use F-mount Nikkors via a Nikon adapter, with AF-S function, and shares batteries with the D7000. These factors, alone, prompt me to favor the Nikon 1, in spite of the smaller sensor. (My wife shoots with a D7000.) Lenses are expensive!

NEX cameras do have APS-C sensors, with all of the advantages of the relatively larger sensor. While Nikkor glass can be used via aftermarket adapters on a NEX, there is not only no AF, but (unless I am mistaken) no means of electronic focus confirmation with MF, which my aging eyes really do need.

The Nikon 1 V1 has a viewfinder. This is an advantage for the V1, for my preference, though accessory viewfinders exist for NEX, and the future NEX-7 will have an integral viewfinder, so this is not an absolute factor.

I have seen a video tutorial of the V1's menu system, which makes me favor it over the menu of the NEX that I handled at a Sony Style store.

These are just my thoughts, having considered both of these cameras, but owning neither at this point. I should add that I use DSLRs at work, and for serious shooting on my own time, so either of these little cameras would play a very minor for me. This lessens my need for an APS-C sensor in a pocketable camera.

I would like to see the V1 sold with just the 10mm pancake as its kit lens!

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II