Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:28 pm 
Ok so here's my dilemma, my wife and I want to get a new camera and we have no idea which way to go. Currently we have a nikon d60 and it's time to say goodbye. My wife is really getting more and more into photography and really likes taking portraits more than anything and I want to support her in every way I can. We want to be able to get the best that we can afford, and I thought we were set on getting a Nikon D7000, but then started looking into the canon 5D or even the 7D. Then we thought maybe the Nikon D700 but I just read there may be an D800 being released in the next couple months. We have just been consumed in trying to find what is going to be the best for the money and I don't want to get "outdated" tomorrow. Please if you have any of those leave some feed back on personal use and also should we wait to see if a D800 is being released?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:11 am 

Hi and welcome to the forums

Getting something like the D700 or the 5D is a huge leap from a D60. Buf if you are confident that a semi professional camera is the right one for you, then get what the budget allows.

To be fair, Id be looking at the lens system and acessories you want before you comit to a camera body. So here are some questions for you to consider.

1) Do you want to keep using your kit lenses or do you want better glass?
2) How well do you know your way around the D60, do you like the layout, do you want more of the same or you want to learn or know to fiddle with manual controls and know what they all mean
3) Do you REALLY want a full frame camera (5D mark II and the D700) The differences to some people are almost unoticeable.
4) Do you want to take sports photography too? Or you happy with good portraits?

Once you know what you want in your next camera, choosing is easy. the Nikon D7000 and the Canon 7D are aimed at sports photographers who dont mind buying a croped frame body (smaller sensor than the 5D and D700) they both have high continous shooting and both do reasonably good video. You can still do relly good portraits with it but imo, thats dependant on the lens you attach. So its a high speed high pixel high end body but wont leave you behind on portrait stuff and kids if you just attach a nice prime lens or a nice zoom lens to it.

The 5D mark II and the D700 are both Full Frame bodies with all the bells and whistles you can get your hands on. The advantages of a FF body is less image noise (meaning you can use higher ISO) and slightly less depth of feild meaning you can acheive focus on one subject and have a bigger difference between the back ground and fore ground, making everything blurry except for whats in focus (this is howeer more dependant on the lens than the body, but FF helps.)

To be honest, if you think you are going to be out of date, I bought a 7D 2 years after it was released and it doesnt feel old and wont feel old in 10 years time for me. And by getting something that was "new" but MAY BE REPLACED soon is that instead of paying 3000 australian dollars to own my 7D, the lens and the bag and warranty etc, I only paid 2000 for everything.

The way things are going now, once cameras like the D700 and 5D are expected to be updated (key word is expected) the prices for them go down, and then ON THE RELEASE of the new updates, these prices of the older camreas go back up as stores try to profit from people buying the slightly cheaper version instead of the updated version. And if a store has few in stock, will be harder for them to sell at cost.

Good luck

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:28 pm 

There's always the "grass is greener" dilemma. If you don't need it now, don't bother buying and wait until the possible successor comes out otherwise buy what you feel will meet your requirements now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:52 pm 

Quote:
Ok so here's my dilemma, my wife and I want to get a new camera and we have no idea which way to go. Currently we have a nikon d60 and it's time to say goodbye.

you should stay with nikon,if your even thinking of nikon d700 hands down 1 of the best camera ever made other then the d3 and d3s.

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:04 am 
Time to say goodbye to the D60? Why? Has it developed a fault? Is it a bit battered and bruised? Or is it that it just can't provide the quality you are looking for?
"Upgrading" is an expensive game and I am willing to bet most people won't be able to tell the difference between a photo taken on D60 and one taken on a $2,000 camera. My advice would be to rent a D700/D7000 for a week or so and take a lot of pics. If you are satisfied that they are better than your present camera then go ahead and buy a new one. Otherwise stick with what you have until you really need to replace it.
As for whether you should stick with Nikon or switch to Canon it depends on how many lenses you have and whether you are willing to buy a new collection to go with a Canon camera. They are not interchangeable. There is also the task of learning the user interface with a new model but that should not be a major problem, just a bit time consuming finding your way about a different set of switches and buttons.
If your D60 is still in good nick I would think about a better lens/lenses before investing in a new body.
(Ok, I know I have a number of cameras but that is a long story, nothing to do with wanting the latest and "best")