Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:40 pm 
I am looking for a camera that will allow me to shoot at basketball and volleyball games. Gyms do not have the best lighting and a flash is out. I am hoping to get a camera for around 800 dollars or so. My only places local to look at cameras are Best Buy or Walmart and the selection is not great. My current camera is a Canon Powershot SX10IS and I have a lot of problem with blurring in any shot with movement.

I have been leaning towards the Sony Slt-a55 due to the higher burst rate witch would let me catch certain action shots but I am not sure how it handles the lighting issues. Would another camera handle the low light better?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:58 pm 

With a DSLR or a Sony SLT, the lens you use will make a MUCH bigger difference in terms of low light performance, especially with the lower-priced bodies. Pretty much any DSLR/Sony SLT will do a decent job in low light provided that you've got suitable glass in front of it.

If you go down that route, what you will probably need is a lens with a large aperture (most recommend f/2.8 though f/4.0 may work depending on how much light there is) as a larger aperture allows you to run a lower ISO number, reducing the likelihood of noisy images. You can also shoot at higher shutter speeds, reducing the likelihood of blurring too. The downside is that as you'd expect, that large aperture will usually cost you.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6