Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:52 pm 

I am researching my options for a new DSLR or equivalent purchase. My main focus is video recording capability. I have been tempted to click the "buy now" on the Canon Rebel T3i, but I held off making the purchase until I read the reviews on some Sony cameras. After reading about the Sony SLT A33, I got enticed by the continuous auto focus available while filming. This advantage of the Sony SLT over the Canon DSLR is a big factor, but not an ultimate deciding factor.

I understand that with the Canon Rebel T3i, adjusting settings like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc.. is easily done with the scroll wheel and function buttons. But I don't know about the Sony-- Is there a lack of manual controls on the Sony SLT A33 when compared with the Canon Rebel T3i? Does the Sony SLT A 33 operate in a much more 'auto-pilot' style than the T3i?

This is my main question when comparing the utility of these cameras. Although the continuous auto focus in the Sony is great, that will not be the primary use of the camera for me. I would more often be wanting to control the frame, including the focus and shutter speed, etc...

Any insight on this question would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:01 pm 

Hello and welcome!

Gordon has a detailed review of this camera here.

I would say that it is at least as easy to change manual settings with the A33 as it is with the 600D.

Regards,

Paulo

Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM; Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 II; Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon EF-S 18-55 IS (broken); Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:40 pm 

thank you for your response.
Does this indicate that the camera does allow for full control over all aspects of the image? I am sorry if this is a silly question -- I don't know if all of these types of cameras have the ability to adjust all these options. Is it standard for all ILC cameras to have these options?

The details are in this passage from the review:

Quote:
In terms of controls, the SLT-A33 will be immediately familiar to any DSLR owner. There's a mode dial on the upper left side, and a scattering of buttons on the upper and rear right surfaces including a traditional four-way rocker. You'll find dedicated buttons for the D-Range (DRO) setting, ISO, White Balance and drive options, along with a button which starts filming video regardless of the mode you're currently using.

The Fn button isn't customisable, but does fire-up a very usable menu system which displays a column of settings on the left and right sides of the image view. The available options vary depending on the current mode, but set to Program, the Fn menu presents quick access to the Drive, Flash and AF mode, AF Area, Face Detection and Smile Shutter options on the left, and Sensitivity, Metering, Flash Compensation, White Balance, DRO / Auto HDR and Creative Style on the right.

After pressing the Fn button, simply use the rocker control to highlight the desired setting before pressing the central button to present a menu of options. Quicker still, with the desired option highlighted, the finger dial can be used to directly adjust most of the settings; this also avoids the annoying quirk of the user interface which throws you out of the Fn menu every time you confirm an option, slowing down multiple changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:41 pm 

Yes, it is actually fairly standard for all interchangeable lens cameras to always allow full manual control over all parameters of shooting functions - ISO, shutter, aperture, focus area, focus mode, metering area, white balance, etc. The primary difference is how the controls are laid out, or how accessible they are. For example, some of the compact mirrorless system cameras like NEX or Olympus Pen have all the same controls as a DSLR, but they can be slightly more buried in the menus, or require custom programming of buttons for different functions. DSLRs have the advantage of more acreage for controls.

The Sony SLT models are very much the same as entry-level DSLRs control-wise, with a jog wheel for making settings adjustments, all the same priority modes, manual modes, and access to quick setting changes of most values in their Fn or Function menu.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg