Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:18 pm 

Hello -

I am looking for some advice on my next camer purchase.

I have been using a Canon SD780 and love it because of it's small size but it doesn't do well at taking pictures that aren't blurring even with minimal movement. We just had a baby and we are losing out on a lot of cute pictures because of blur.

I think I'm going to have to get something more serious. I'm open to a larger camera body but don't think I want (or need to go) to DSL. Stepping up to full HD would be great too.

I was considering the Canon SX40 HS.

Is this a good choice? Other recommendations?

All help is apprecaited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:55 pm 

The SX40 HS would be a fine choice, you'll be able to crank up your ISO higher and get cleaner results than with your SD780, but if you really want the best performance in low light and the littlest motion blur, a DSLR would be the best choice. By opting for a DSLR, you'll be able to step up your ISO much higher than with a compact, making it a much better choice for shooting in low light. You'll also be able to get some fast prime lenses for even better low light performance, something that a compact can't offer. Shooting movies is also better, even the entry level models such as the Nikon D3100 can shoot full 1080P video at 24FPS. The only real advantage a new compact camera like the SX40 HS would offer would be a better zoom range and somewhat better low light performance.

If you decide to opt for the compact camera, the SX40 HS is a fine choice, but for your priorities I think that you really should consider a DSLR. You may want to consider a Canon 1100D with its kit lens and perhaps a Canon 35mm f/2, or a Nikon D3100 with its kit lens and a 35mm f/1.8. That will give you lots of versatility, the only thing that the Powershot could offer that the DSLR couldn't is the telephoto zoom range, but for your needs that doesn't seem like a huge priority. If it is, consider an 18-200mm DSLR lens.

Hope that I helped!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:06 am 

I'm very happy with my SX 10 IS - the zoom range is just a lot of fun - and the SX 40 HS has an even greater range. Nothing against it. :wink:

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466