Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:08 pm 

Hello,

I am looking for a high end compact which I can carry in my bag while biking and on the occasional holiday.

I have been looking at the Panasonic LX5, Canon S95 and Olympus xz1. I am open to other options though if anyone can suggest others. I am not particulary bothered about price as long as it is sub £500.

I am looking for the following:
- supports raw.
- decent in low light (bars, pubs).
- not particulary bothered about video but would like a option incase.

I like the size of the s95 but concerned that a new model could come soon, especially how quick the s95 came out after s90. I adore the look of the lx5. From reviews it seems the xz1 has the best picture quality but terrible video which I am not fussed about.

I am completely confused at which to get so any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:03 pm 
Same problem.. I also have the LX5 and XZ-1 on my list..I am thinking of the Samsung EX1, it is cheaper and has great functionality and nice button layout if you are used to DSLRs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:38 am 

I own a TL500/EX1 and bought it because, unlike any of the other options mentioned above, it has a full tilt/swivel LCD. However, if you don't need this feature, it's been my observation that the other cameras have better IQ. (Which is why I'm looking to replace it with Pany's new G3.)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:54 pm 
All depends what is most important to you in a camera.

For example, the S95 has a 28mm lens; not wide enough for some people nor does the S95 allow you to zoom/focus while in video mode. Max shutter speeds are faster in the LX5 as is the lens. Some don't care for the lens cap on the LX5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:15 pm 
I got the LX5! It is great!

It has an amazing black and white mode out of the camera! Love this camera next to my Pentax K5!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:50 pm 

I'm also in the market for a small camera that crucially shoots in RAW mode. I was thinking of the S95 as my mate has the LX3 and let me borrow it on a recent trip to Holland. While the images out of the Lumix are good by far the most annoying thing about it was the lens cap. Doesn't seem like a big problem but for me it was. The S95 doesn't have that issue and it's a far more pocket friendly shape. The only potential negative is, like the OP says, there's likey to be a replacement coming along pretty soon.

Decisions, decisions...

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head