Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:31 pm 
So recently I blew the ZS7 camera, I went to beach with it, big waves hit the pier, washed my backpack and the Lumix inside. The camera now reports "This battery cannot be used" when I power it up, if I power it up in record mode, it pulls out the lens, gives the error message, and then closes up, and if I power it up in preview mode, it shows the SD card (or built in images if no card) image for a second, displays the error and then turns off. So, I guess it's time for an upgrade.

As you can see in my signature, I used to shoot with Lumix DMC-TZ5, and I loved it, in fact I'm using that camera again since I don't have the ZS7. But, upgrading to ZS7 was great to me, mainly because of manual controls and GPS. Loved it.

Now that the ZS7 is done, I'm looking for another camera. I don't want to go over 600, I could go over that budget but I really don't want to, since I'm still angry at the silly way I lost the ZS7.

So - what can I get in that price range? Obviously I'm a Lumix fan, and I searched this site for alternatives.

Lumix FZ45 or LX5 look nice, but then again I would part with GPS or with superzoom. I thought about G3 but after reading couple reviews on it (would like to see Gordon's review video on G3) I'm not 100% sold on that camera.

I don't know anything about other brands, so I don't know what the competition offers.

I looked at some ZS10 photos in full res, and I must say they do look funny and noisy...and it's really disappointing.

I always wanted a "real deal", DSLR, so I thought about Nikon D3000. But then again I lose the compact part of the story. I travel a lot, I ride my mountain bike around, and I loved the ZS7 just because I would take it with me and never knew I carry it around.

I don't know what to look at, I'm aware I'll need to compromise on my next camera choice, so help me make a good decision with some good arguments pro and cons of my choices, and feel free to suggest.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 pm 
Sounds like a mirrorless camera is for you IMHO.

I like the Sony's because of their larger sensor. But unfortunately at the moment they dont really have a lens collection, so micro 4/3rds is really the only way to go.