Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:40 pm 

Hi everyone!
I've been using A230 for over a year, now I'm thinking about to upgrade, but can't decide, as there is +'s and -'s to both of these cameras. Now i have 18-55 and 70-300mm lenses, but I'm selling all kit. So I want lens that is more compact, something like 18-200 or 55-300mm. I know you usually should stick with one brand, but as I'm selling all kit; I can go for something else.

So my questions are:

-Which one is better A580 or D5100?
-Which lens is better AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm or Sigma 18-200mm DC OS? (IF I GO FOR NIKON D5100)
-Is Battery grip available on D5100?

I've been going through reviews, but would like to see what people who been using these cameras and lenses!

THANKS!
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:41 pm 

Have you actually handled both cameras yourself?

Any review can tell you one is "better" than another (or any fanboy can tell you the brand they follow is better, using the objectively superior features to "back up" their argument and reasoning) but none of that will mean anything if YOU find the camera uncomfortable to hold, its buttons clumsy to use or its menu frustrating to navigate through. You're best off holding and trying out each camera in a CE or photography store and deciding for yourself. I don't think there are any bad DSLRs on the market, it's more a case of finding out what works best for you.

I can't comment on which lens is better in terms of image quality/sharpness, focusing speed or bokeh but can you really compare them? For the wide angle, the Nikkor has no answer to the Sigma and conversely, the Sigma can't compete with the Nikkor in terms of reach.

As for the battery grip, a quick search on eBay will answer that question. :mrgreen:

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:33 pm 
+1 to above. Try Canon as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:45 pm 

It's all down to feel in your hands, key features you might want or need on one or the other, price, or lens availability. There's no definitive 'better' between the two - in fact, they even share the same sensor.

Check out a list of all the features of both cameras, and see if there's anything in particular that you would really like to have that one of the two may not offer - that can help make the decision. Handle them both, see if they both feel great in your hands, you can reach and understand all the controls, find the menus logical, like the LCD or viewfinder, or any other possible thing that might make one fit you better - that can help make the decision. Are there any must-haves? Video specs, live view abilities, stabilization systems, or any other particular feature that one is better matched to your needs?

If it's a dead-heat in every category as far as your needs are concerned - then it would be great news - you could go for either one and not end up making a bad choice.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:16 pm 

Thanks everyone. It's hard to find A580 in store, all stores are full with A290/390. I was thinking about image stabilization, i like that Sony has it in camera body, not lens, so it makes lenses cheaper ( correct me if i'm wrong )
You can get, i think, better grip for A580. And ISO range is much wider.
For now it looks A580 is my choice, but 'touching' will help me to make my mind up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:36 pm 

If you can find an A500 or A550 around, the feel is almost identical, as is most of the button layout - so that might help.

As for lens prices - there actually isn't any hard, fast rule that stabilization costs more in-lens versus not. Some Nikon fans can point out a few lenses in which the Nikon version is actually cheaper than the Sony version despite having IS in lens...and some Sony fans can point out a few Sony lenses that are indeed cheaper than the VR/IS equivalents in Nikon. In the end, most would call it a wash - Sony lenses are a little pricier than competitors for the middle and high end glass, but it comes close to balancing out when the VR versions are considered.

The advantages typically between the two are thus: With in-lens stabilization, you actually get a stabilized view as well as shot, whereas the sensor-based stabilization systems don't show you the stabilization through the viewfinder. On the flipside, the in-body stabilization works with all lenses, which gives you stabilization on some lenses which aren't even available in-lens, such as short primes, fast primes, and ultrawide zooms.

As for ISO range - don't read too much into it - they're both quite equal in those regards. Sony has a range listed to 25600, but the typical reviewed usable range is 6400 - which is the same for the Nikon (again, they share the very-same Sony made sensor, so no surprises there). The Nikon has a normal ISO range with an extension range that comes closer to the Sony's listed range. Sony does offer an interesting and usable 6-frame stacking mode in all ISOs that will significantly reduce noise at those high ISOs, usable only in JPG mode.

I have had the A550 for several years - the forerunner of the A580, and it's a fantastic camera. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of these though, so don't worry too much about it!

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg