Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: LX5 or S95?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:27 am 

I've really been wanting to pick up a decent compact lately and have narrowed it down to either the S95 or the Panasonic LX5.

I think that the S95 has slightly better IQ and is more compact, i.e. I can just put in my jeans pocket.

The LX5 on the hand has nicer ergonomics (for me & my giant hands) & is pretty fast at focusing.

The IQ difference I feel isn't enough for me to go one way or the other.

I suppose I prefer the LX5 but the non retracting lens does bother me in terms of just chucking it back in my pocket when I don't want to shoot any more.

What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:18 am 

Which do you think you can live with and use every day for the sake of argument or do you feel they're too closely matched to decide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:59 am 

I've ended up deciding on the S95, purely for pcketability reasons.
The IQ is as good as or very close to any other compact with a small sensor & it has all the manual controls albeit in menus.

I decided this because I'm much more likely to take out a camera if I can just throw it in my pocket rather than carrying it or bringing a bag.

The manual dials and controls of the G12 made it very tempting but really, if I want an SLR with that stuff, I've already got my eye on the D700. :)

I really loved the LX5 (except for the cheap feel of the dial) but the non retracting lens made it a carry or bag camera.

Ta for the input. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:54 am 
Made a comparisson last year when I had to recommand one of these cameras to a friend...the LX5 is the best choice. Talked to a tech expert too,said the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:05 pm 

Razvan wrote:
Made a comparisson last year when I had to recommand one of these cameras to a friend...the LX5 is the best choice. Talked to a tech expert too,said the same thing.

An "expert" is somebody who is skilled at casting doubt on other people's (different) knowledge and understanding with their own knowledge and understanding. Experts are human too so they are invariably subject to get it wrong as well, never mind the fact they can sway opinion if they have a vested interest in a particular outcome.

The "best choice" is the one whose drawbacks can be lived with the most in relation to its benefits, both of which are subjective and down to individual taste and not necessarily down to raw, hard facts. You can only stick out your neck and say camera A is the best choice over B if your tastes and requirements exactly match those of who is asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:54 pm 
I agree,but tech is tech,specs are specs,no matter if a human compares the products. So it's a objective matter. My friend asked "I want the best image quality,functionality & compactness. G12 or LX5 or S95?". The S95 is more compact,but the Panasonic is a better camera.
Although,I don't find any of these cameras really compact. I don't know why camera brands are obsessed to mentain a 3" LCD. I for one,would preffer a 2,5" LCD,if that camera would fit in my pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:36 pm 

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think that blindly and solely relying on objective differences will always tell you product A is better than B in a one-sided way - if I'm looking at two similar and similarly priced products and one is technically superior by a small(ish) margin, I would probably shun it if I didn't find it comfortable or enjoyable to use. A human element will always remain so I reckon the best advice you can give is a suggestion of which camera(s) would be best for John/Jane Doe and not the best outright unless every feature in Camera A is vastly and decisively superior to those of Camera B, which is not the case with the two cameras in question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:23 am 

I bought the S95, we wanted a small camera to put in the pocket etc. The LX5 was excluded purely on size.
If I want IQ I take the 7D.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:41 pm 
If you would want quality,you would have bought the 5D MkII,not the 7D. :) But seriuosly,out of the two,there are some image quality differences. Small,but there.