Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:57 pm 
I found today on Amazon - d7000 for $1180

"Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens"

The seller says its a brand new only box opened.

I am a beginner - please advice what I should check for once I receive it:

Here is list i came up with in additional to checking contents, taking pictures, checking condition of body, lens:

1. Warranty card blank. Any restrictions from Nikon if I didnt buy it from a dealer?

2. picture count, 0 would mean for sure its not used.

3. Is Square Trade warranty worth getting? Any one bought and have experience with it?

Please guide me as to what else I should be checking for.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 pm 

Hello,

Generally when buying from Amazon you can be sure that the product is is good, working condition. I personally wouldn't buy anything second hand without being able to try it first.
You shouldn't have any problems with the warranty. Regarding the picture count try to get a picture taken by the camera and then read its EXIF date using a program such as Opanda IExif which will tell you the number that the picture is (ex. If the picture is 203, it's the 203rd picture taken by the camera).

If I were you, I'd personally pay the extra bit of money to go with a brand new D7000, you don't have the hassle of all of the precautions that you need to take with a second hand body, plus it's difficult to test the body considering that it's an online sale.

Good luck shopping!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:15 pm 
I would agree with Evan and would purchase new before purchasing used.