Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:01 am 
Hello to all, I'm a newbie here, reading lots of topics here but I just need to ask more of expert advice. Sorry for this and I know this topic is so redundant now. But I need advice on buying a new dslr. I have my 1000d for 2 yrs now and though I love the results of my pictures, I have difficulty taking shots at my 3 yr old daughter who is so active that I often have blur pictures. I initially want to upgrade to 600d but seeing the review of d5100 and a580 which has faster continuous shots at 5-6fps, I am now confused if it will be okay to shift to a new brand or stick to Canon ( I have two extra cheap lenses also, 50mm and 75-300mm). I also love to take pictures of landscapes and scenery. Can you help me in deciding what to buy? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:59 am 

Welcome aboard!

Forgive me for asking the obvious but have you increased the shutter speed
of your 1000D to compensate for your daughter's movement? If she is "in frame" for all of the shots where she's blurred, then a faster burst rate may not necessarily be the solution.

Switching brands is quite a financial commitment so have you considered what it is you want from your camera that Canon doesn't offer but Nikon, Sony et al do offer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 am 
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did adjusted the shutter speed, and I still get some blurred shots or less color or light in shots. I also want to get more shots to capture moments.
I actually want to upgrade to 600d, but I am intrigued with the new d5100 and the review of a580. Does the 6fps really helps in taking moving subjects (like my daughter), I love taking pictures of landscapes also and from the reviews, d5100 and a580 have good balance of color for landscapes (please correct me if I am wrong on these). But I still love Canon's performance, but I like the 6fps, 15point AF and live view capabilities of a580. I like also the review of d5100 having good balance of color and 11point AF system. But what I like with Canon is the portrait or when you are taking close up pictures of faces and objects, the color is so vibrant and lively. Help me to decide on this please. Stick with Canon or not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:41 pm 

miko21 wrote:
Yes, I did adjusted the shutter speed, and I still get some blurred shots or less color or light in shots.

That's exactly what happens. A lower shutter speed will allow more light to touch the sensor but the image will be more prone to blurring. Conversely, a higher shutter speed will reduce/eliminate blurring but as less light can hit the sensor, the image will be much darker.

There are two practical solutions that can resolve the issues of using a high shutter speed without changing the body:
  • Use of a flash at higher shutter speeds (or throw more light at the subject)
  • Use of a faster lens i.e. one with a larger aperture or lower f/stop number

The EOS 600D is perfectly competent at landscape photography and it allows you to adjust the colour balance.

You shouldn't always rely on numbers as an indication of how good the AF (or any feature for that matter) is. 11 vs 9 doesn't have to equate to better. In the real world, the extra AF points available on the D5100 may not necessarily give it at an advantage over the 600D.

A lot of the time with DSLR photography, very little of "how good" the picture turns out is determined by the body but rather the lens being used and the person taking the photos.

Whether you should stick with Canon or not is a hugely personal decision and I don't feel anybody here is qualified to give you a conclusive or definitive argument to stay or switch. Things from the way the camera feels to navigating the camera's menu are things only you can decide on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:15 am 
I guess I'm good with the 600d then. Thanks for the comments, helps a lot.