Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon 3100 vs Canon 550d
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:47 pm 
I am buying my first DSLR, I have narrowed down to Nikon D3100 after doing a lot of comparison with canon 550d. But I am not sure if that is a right decision, can experts guide me please? :roll:

Cost is the only factor which helped me decide Nikon as its really cheap compared to Canon.

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 pm 
I've recently had to make the Nikon vs Canon decision on my first DSLR and I plumped for the 550d with 18 to 135 kit lens.

The majority of the cameras in this segment seem pretty damn good. I trawled through loads of reviews etc and the differences were very slight and largely balanced out.

It seems more than anything your making a long term brand choice when buying your first DSLR. Once you've made your choice your going to continue to invest in bits and bobs, especially lenses, that will mean your unlikely ever to change brand.

As well as a general leaning towards Canon that I cant really explain for me it came down to the video capabilities of the 550D, the fact that it has the close to the capabilities of the high end 7D in a smaller lighter body and it will fit in a pelicase 1200.

Sorry guess this doesnt help much :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:19 pm 

The 550d and d3100 are in different classes. The d3100 is a very entry level camera that competes with the 1100d. The 550d is more of a semi pro camera and competes with the d5100. The 550d is better but you should go in store and try the 550d and d5100. Which ever one feels better is the one you should get.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:35 pm 
Thank you all for your comments, I dont know if this was a concidence that I got a gift and guess what it was a Canon EOS550d with 18-55mm, UV filer, Canon case, 8GB memory card and tripod :P

Hope I saved a lot :wink:

Thank you once again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:51 am 
I agree with the notion that the two cameras are in different categories, but wouldn't say that the 550D is a semi-pro camera by any stretch of the imagination.

Here is how I see the market segments:
Entry-level newbie (D3100, Canon xs - yes you can still find these new, etc.)
Entry-level advanced (D5000/5100, Canon Txxx, etc.)
Mid-range/SemiPro (D90/D7000, 50D/60D, etc.)
High-end /Full Frame (D3/D700, 5D Mk II, 1Ds MK xxx, etc.)

Market segments are based on a mixture of features and price, but are generally driven first by the price point. Generally speaking, that is. Just my opinion, ymmv.