Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:43 am 
Looking to invest in DSLR to get good indoor images of our son (including Sony’s translucent mirror in the definition of DSLR). The boy is 6m now and at this rate he will be a year before Dad makes up his mind!
Initial thoughts – D5100 or D7000 and 35/1.8 autofocus prime (I know the 5100 doesn’t have a drive motor). Then I picked them up, D7000 scared me on first viewing, but the 5100 felt a little “dumbed down” by comparison. I use a Lumix TZ5 with great results, but know the DSLR will give us the bokeh shots we want of my son and allow us to be far more creative with lighting (planned on a speedlight to go with the new cam – prob a SB400 until I saw they have no ability to side light or wireless flash).
CamLabs recent 5100 review highlighted lack of rapid ISO/Aperture adjust on the camera, unlike Cannon and Sony apparently. I know I could get this with a D7000, but wonder just how frustrating the need to go back to menu settings to adjust ISO will be in practice.
Sony appears to have a very high frame rate on burst cf cannon or Nikon, but the lens range appears limited. Could I get the prime lenses I want at a reasonable price?
Any thoughts / guidance welcomed – particularly on what body/ prime lens to use for the indoor / low light shots – I know I need a fast lens for this, but is 35mm or 50mm best for what I want to shoot – a moving baby/soon to be toddler!
I have quite a bad tremor in my hands and so good anti-vibration would be useful – I understand sony is the only one with this in the body but would this really be a big deal when using a 35mm prime lets say at f/1.8 – shutter would already be really fast surely? The only upside I see to in-body anti-shake would be if you were video shooting with the camera and it was hand held when using a prime lens (none of the 35 or 50mm I see from Nikon have anti-vibration, so an in-body anti-shake would be useful perhaps).
Finally, it is going to be used for video as well and so should have HD at 24fps min……not so sure manual exposure during video is that big a deal for me as it would be birthday vids, funnies and some external shots of the boy goofing around as he gets bigger. Why would I need manual exposure anyway? (I know the d7000 has this whereas the d5100 does not)

I know i've talked a lot about Nikon here, but the reality is I am open to other brands as I’ve not invested in lenses yet. Budget is up to £1200 for BODY/PRIME/SPEEDLIGHT, but don’t want to spend £1200 unless I need to. I usually always buy the best I can afford, and so this tells me go for d7000, but as my wife will use the camera, I’m tending towards something more “consumer” level……not scary if you will! She says she wants to get into photography however.

Yours CONFUSED!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 am 
d7000+35 F/1.8 . best combo for the job
p.s. you don't need manual exposure unless you're using a flash too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 am 

D7000 is a cracking camera. It has full `auto` & `P` (programmed) modes, so it's easy & quick to use, but will also allow you to learn/grow into the settings as you progress.
The onboard flash is plenty adequate to start with, so you don't need to rush out to buy the SB700 (or whichever you wanted later)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:49 pm 
While the D7000 is a great camera, you will get the same capabilities with a D90 at a much lower cost as there are still plenty of new D90s still on offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:37 pm 
(the D90's AF system might be a bit too slow for certain scenarios...we're talking about indoor moving subjects after all)