Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pentax KR or Nikon d5100
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:15 pm 

I've been mulling over what camera I should buy with my first step into DSLR. Its not that I can't make up my mind I'm just indecisive (see what I mean). I have spent the last 6 months reading all sorts of reviews & it seems that buying a new camera is really down to personal taste. I have narrowed it down to the kr & the d5100. I had pretty much decided on the 5100 after reading Gordans's review but having looked at other sites that rate the kr higher I am being drawn back to that camera. What advice can anybody give me, as I am anxious to take the plunge over the next day or two. Basically I want a good all rounder & am drawn to a camera that can offer good video. I really want a camera that can can take good action photography. I also want to purchase a lense that can both get me good & close to the action & that can also can give me wide angle. One all rounder would be preferable. I want good value for money Thanks in advice guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:58 pm 
A common question that is virtually impossible for anyone to actually tell you what is best for you. If you have read the reviews, which you have clearly done -- then the next step is to get into a reputable camera shop with knowledgeable staff and get your candidate cameras in your hands. The camera that feels best to you is also the one that will be the best fit for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:34 pm 
Padraigr - I do think that Jwnrw has the crucial point - it won't matter how technically "good" a camera is - if it doesn't instinctvely "feel right and good" to your handling, you'll never be really happy with it.

Another point is your current and longer-term intentions. If your main interests are sports with very fast moving action - the Nikons have the Semi-Pro and Pro equipment aimed exactly at that. Not 'cheap' - but that sort of function and quality never is...

If your intentions are more general-purpose - and/or you want a huge range of modest-cost K, M, and M42 mostly manual lenses available - Pentax would be ideal. Pentax does have a reasonable range of its own lenses, plus Sigma and other third-party. And for functions and abilities value-for-money - the cameras take some beating.

So when you're deciding on "Brand" of camera - you are also choosing a "System lock-in" - to the range of lenses and accessories that go with a Brand.

Look around the Forums for posts from people who for some reason need to change Brands. An example is a person with a large amount of Pentax gear - K-5, K-7, K20D, and a "near warehouse" lineup of the best Pentax-mount lenses. But - he's doing Weddings - and the demand is such that he has to go full-frame. Which Pentax at present doesn't do - so he's having to "sell everything" to switch to Canon. At a pretty frightening cost...

In my situation - going Pentax is the only way I'll afford some good, if older, manual, primes... So I have a good reason for Pentax. But do look carefully at what your mid and longer term needs look like being - because once you lock-in to a Brand - it can be very expensive to change-over.

You're looking at Pentax and Nikon - but as that's a choice between rather "different intentions" - it might be useful to look at Canon, too - they might just be able to cover the "parts of intentions" you like from both Pentax and Nikon...

And while Canon does have a very wide range of std and midrange lenses - the fame of their superb L-series lenses seems well-deserved.

But whichever and whatever - as friend Jwnrw says - if it doesn't "feel right" - it won't ever "be right" for you...

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:20 pm 
Dave's points regarding system-lock-in are key. In hindsight, today, given the Oly decision to chase the mFourThirds format, my e-620 is not going to be easy to upgrade -- so any serious upgrade I make will have to include considering changing systems. Luckily, I don't see this happening for another 3-5 years in the future anyway as my e-620 continues to provide me with a great amount of pleasure as a photographer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:18 am 

Finally after months of thought & reading all the reviews I have dipped my feet into the dslr world & bought the Nikon d5100 online with the kit lense 18-55 & also the 55-300 lense so I can get up & close to my sons football matches. I know I have made the right choice because it felt right when I held it in the shop & based on all the reviews I have read particularly Gordan's very in depth review I know this is the camera for me. Now I just can't wait to get it & start snapping!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:36 pm 
Attaboy --- enjoy the new camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:13 am 
Padraigr - I'm happy that you're now happy! :D

Nikons tend to last well, so you'll have years of use from it - and it'll likely still be going well - as a "second body" - when you do move up in the range....

Now - you have an 18-55mm for general walk-around uses, and a 55-300mm for some reach - the 1.5-crop in the D5100 gives you up to 450mm equiv.

So to fill-out your lens lineup for general uses - next might be a 50mm prime - portraits, travel, scenery - and really nice bokeh!

You might look for a good used AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D. They were under $150.00 new, so you might get a good one for rather less. Nikon of course has 50/55s in very pricey Pro versions - but that one might be a good starter...

Regards, Dave.