Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:38 am 
My approach may not be for everyone.

Buying equipment that has better build quality, and capabilities you can use as your skill improves, matched what I wanted for my goals in photography.

Yes, there are photographic skills and technique we can always be learning, no matter what equipment we own.

But sometimes knowing there is more untapped capability will be an incentive for the photographer to maximize their skill level of how to get the most out of their equipment.

As to the Canon Speedlite 580EX II purchased, I bought it when it was $100 off, so I actually got it for close to the going rate for the 430EX, so I think the purchase was a very good deal.

I know it can be used as the master to trip other speedlites, and that is why I bought it, as I eventually will get a 430EX as a fill flash for studio-type set-ups.

I plan on my purchases lasting many years, and bought in mind of ownership satisfaction, and not having to upgrade equipment for quite some time.

Thanks for your feedback.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:22 am 

Naelcam GW wrote:
I plan on my purchases lasting many years, and bought in mind of ownership satisfaction, and not having to upgrade equipment for quite some time.

Yes, you have hit the nail there.

When I bought the 500D, I wanted something that would not easily go out of date. The 1000D has just been replaced this year, the 450D will be going next, then the 500D.

Great deal on the 580ex then, I can see why you bought it.

On the note of flashes, I prefer to use radio triggers. They are far cheaper and can work around walls without requiring a clear line of sight. I did consider using the infra red before, but it's only advantage for me would be TTL.

Out of interest, when did you buy your camera and when do you plan to upgrade? Was this your first DSLR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:51 pm 
After many decades using film, (Pentax & Olympus) I caved in and I bought my Canon 50D 12 months ago. I had point and shoot compact digitals, but they were OK for snaps, but did not give the tools or the image quality that DSLR can.

I did some research before my purchase, but I obviously know a lot more now about the features of what I bought, and about the alternative cameras that I was considering too.

The final decision was at the camera store, when the 50D felt more substantial and better built than the alternatives. Magnesium body and weather resistance are nice to have.

While purely a subjective opinion, one cannot help but be more influenced by such things as the larger size and better finish of the 17 - 85mm kit lens than the more basic 18-55mm kit lens.

However, further research has revealed there are truly some optical jems in what can be considered a 'low-end' lens, with Canon's 50mm F1.8 having a reputation as optically one of Canon's best and great value for the price. Also some higher-end lenses can be over-priced optical under-achievers in some respects too...... Again, good research will reveal that buying expensive is not always buying the best....

I don't have any plans to upgrade my equipment in the foreseeable future, as I have a long way to go before I acquire enough talent to come even close exceeding its considerable capability.

My focus (pardon the pun) is on improving photographic technique under a variety of shooting conditions and subjects. I still have much to learn, but therein lies the joy - and the motivation too.

I also need to work on my photographic eye to be able to better seek out and find photographic opportunities.

Any purchases will more likely be for software for image processing. While many HDR shots can be over the top and well beyond natural, I like some of the more subtle HDR image effects, and will be looking for what I need to be able to process same at some point.

I am glad I invested in a camera where I can program the required sequential bracket shots automatically, although I wasn't aware I might want that when I bought my camera........

.....But I guess that is another argument for buying a little better than what you 'need' at the time.......

Gary