Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New t3si vs HD camcorder
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:14 pm 
I need help in deciding whether or not it is better to but the new t3si and get a camera upgrade and and video component or spend the same amount of money for a HD camcorder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:56 pm 

Assuming by t3si you mean the Canon EOS 600D/Rebel T3i, I think the question you need to ask yourself is whether you want an HD camcorder that can take stills or a camera that can record HD video. Perhaps the easiest way to decide is to determine whether you're more likely to be doing photography or filming - some compromise is usually made to give additional functionality.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject: New t3si vs HD camcorder
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:47 am 
Ahhhh! You are correct... I'm a Photographer than would like HD Video capabilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:21 am 
While I am not into mixing video and DSLRs, I get that the market is going clearly in that direction. My daughter's new D3100 takes some very impressive video to be honest -- so I see no reason to not go with the DSLR if you are a photographer first and an aspiring videographer second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:54 pm 

I think many Canon DSLRs (T2i, T3i, 60D, 7D, 5DmkII, and one of the 1Dsomething) can beat pretty much any camcorder in image quality. On the other hand, even a 200$ camcorder would probably be easier to handle, so it depends how much effort you are willing to put into it.

A lot of Hollywood producers are making the move towards HDSLRs, because the image turns out better than their million dollar video cameras. But then again, they often mix and match the two together because both have advantages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:44 pm 

Quote:
I think many Canon DSLRs (T2i, T3i, 60D, 7D, 5DmkII, and one of the 1Dsomething) can beat pretty much any camcorder in image quality. On the other hand, even a 200$ camcorder would probably be easier to handle, so it depends how much effort you are willing to put into it.

I wouldn't say it can beat any camcorder but even for the camcorders a video capable DSLR is technically superior to, that better quality doesn't come out of the box - like you said, you have to spend a lot of time practising with a video capable DSLR to get really fantastic results - the arguably less practical focusing of such DSLRs puts them at a disadvantage against most camcorders, especially for subjects than frequently and quickly move out of the DoF. Sometimes, an easier to use product can deliver better results.

Quote:
A lot of Hollywood producers are making the move towards HDSLRs, because the image turns out better than their million dollar video cameras.

I don't think I could disagree with you more on that. There are camcorders that have larger image sensors and can shoot in a much higher resolution such as 4k camcorders, not to mention at higher bit rates. The most likely reason why some filmmakers opt for video-capable DSLRs is that they arguably offer a better compromise between price and video quality.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6