Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:03 pm 
At current I own a point & shoot camera that allows for no customisation other than a choice of preprogrammed settings.

Its no longer enough for my needs and Im looking to buy a DSLR. I've been reading reviews of both websites (dslr tips and camera labs) and this forum for well over a year now trying to weigh up my options.

What I'll be using the camera for

General photography really, Like i said im new to the world of DSLRs so have no restrictions or requirements as to what I wish to photo. This could include long distance and night shots, really if I like the look of it, id like to photograph it.

Id quite like to have a high fps as Id love to take pictures during the action not just before and after, for example a bird in flight, deer fighting, runners running etc.

Please note
I want to buy the camera to take photographs, not movies. Its a feature I just will not use. If i want to take movies I have a movie camera for that.

Budget

I dont really have one, although idealy Id like to spend less than £2000 on both a camera body and at least one or two lenses. Im happy to except that I will no doubt be buying more lenses down the line, however the initial outset would idealy meet or be below this figure.

Cameras i've seen so far

I quite like the D90 and D7000. Im aware that the D7000 is the upgrade so would idealy purchase this. However like I said im new to the world of DSLRs so I do need to question whether or not I should be jumping in at the deep end.

My reasoning for looking at upper mid range DSLRS is because I do wish to make this a hobby and really want to get into all the numbers and features DSLRs offer as im bored with pre programmed features I want to be able to experiement and learn as I go. I also do alot of photography for the websites I design and build so scale isnt much an issue as I've no intention of printing posters.. Obviously it would be nice if this was possible, because I've no idea what a client will request.. (clients are a crazy breed) but its not a deciding factor.

The brand im looking for

Im happy to go with any. However from the reviews im swaying more towards Nikon because of the better AF and build quality. But if theres better alternatives I am happy to listen. Budget isnt really a concern I see this a an investment for enjoyment.

Final note

Im a complete novice, but I want to learn more so would love a camera that would allow for this. Im happy with buttons, menus and what not and can take virtually any interface thrown at me so im not interested in dumb downed features or built in tutorials. I want to learn from trial and error; experience and practice not from being spoon fed by some horrible restrictive learner interface. That said i would not dismiss a camera that had such a feature, I just would not use it. Like i said before I've been using both the websites and this forum along with many magazines and several books, so I am by no means afraid to research on things I dont understand and have all these resources to refer back to.

There is no time line for this and im in no rush as I want to get the most practical camera for my needs.

Appreciate all your help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:04 pm 

Dont have that much time, but I can say you few things:
The Canon 50D, when you can get it cheap, is a really good, semi-pro actioncamera. 6,3 fps and a good AF system.

Sony models often have high fps for those on a budget. See for example Gordon's Sony A550 review.

O, before I forget: Welcome!

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 pm 
+1 to what Ruben said.

The 50D should be considered on your list. Although you will have to hunt to find either a used or a refurbished one.

Lots of other options as well - Pentax, Olympus or Sony.

It's really hard for anyone to suggest what the perfect camera for you would be -- because in the end, ergonomics play a massive part in what is right for the individual photographer. Get some cameras in your hands at a local camera shop as a starting point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 pm 

Welcome Danny.

I can't advise on other brands, only to say the Nikon D7000 is a fine camera & hasn't dissapointed me in the least. I've had mine for 7 months......& still learning with it. (it has full auto & P prog, if you need them, so don't feel intimidated with all the other progs & settings. Learn as you click :wink: )

tbh, if you think you really want to get into it as a serious hobby, i'd focus on buying 1 or 2 quality lenses, (even pre-owned from reputable sources)that will cover what you feel you'll be most interested in photographing, then spend what's left on the body.

Don't forget tripod, bag, remote release, cleaning kit etc etc etc in your monetary equation over the coming months.

Whatever you decide, ENJOY & post a few pics for us. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:15 pm 

I agree with Ruben. The Canon 50D is a good choice, esp. when you don't care about video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:20 pm 

One more for the 'any brand will work' crowd - in fact, your budget is comfortable enough that any of the mid-range bodies should be within budget, depending on what lenses you go after - be it the Canon 60D, Nikon D7000, Sony A580, or Pentax K5 (high end of budget). All quite good, across the board - burst speed, AF systems, high ISO work, larger buffers, good battery life.

Do take some consideration for lenses though. You mention 'action' shooting as being something you want to get into - you can easily blow your entire budget for just one good 'action' lens - and if you've never shot DSLRs before the size and weight might take you a bit by surprise. Just a fair warning - good, fast lenses for this type of shooting tend to be pricey and big. Personally, that's no bother - I have no problem walking around with 2 lenses that are 10+ inches long weighing 3-4Lbs each when I'm out shooting wildlife. But some folks might not be ready for that.

And yes, you can find decent, workable lenses in your budget that can do a very acceptable job with this type of shooting - such as the variou s70-400mm type lenses that are usually floating around $1,500 US. It just leaves room in the budget for a $750-1000 body for a grand total around $2,300-2,600 US...right about where you want to be for your £2000 limit.

Do take a look at the Sony A500/550 for used or older closeout models, or A580 for new...the Pentax K5, the Nikon D90 for used or older closeout models, or D7000 for new, or the Canon 50D (older) or 60D (newer)...all fine suggestions and very capable cameras that can do what you need.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 pm 

i agree the 50d is a great choice. You can pick it up for about £600. I would then suggest a prime of your choice (50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8 ect) All of these cost in the region of £300-400. Then I would get a decent general purpose (24-105 or 15-85) and then a telephoto (70-200 f4L non IS fits your budget and is very good).

All this comes to about £2000 and is a very good kit. If you want to add a flash in though you might need to spend more :D

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:08 am 
:lol: Thanks for all the help and the welcome. Yeah I've viewed a lot of the reviews on the lenses and will be opting to buy the camera body only and choose my own lenses.

I think the lenses are something I will have to buy as and when I find I need them. As I dont think ill need an entire array of lenses if I dont yet know how to work the camera :D

But ive read enough reviews to realise not to skimp on the glass, so ill buy at least one great quality lense and toy around with that, learn about the camera and taking photos and then see what lenses i feel I need.

Ill have a look more into all of the suggested cameras, so thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:28 am 
Start with the best quality prime lens you can afford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:33 pm 
Hi Danny_l

I suggest you take a look at the Sony Alpha 55.

For the action-side of things:
- High frame rate
- Fast AF in general
- Phase-detection auto-focus in between shots in bursts due to it's translucent mirror
- Articulated LCD for creative compositions
- Supported by a good range of lenses

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers :-)