Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 550D or D90 ....... ?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:41 pm 
Beyond all comparison & debate, I'm just fallen between Canon 550D and Nikon D90 for purchasing.... :? Friends help me please to get rid of such indecision.... both are within my budget (though they have good difference in price).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:11 pm 

Have you held either in your hand? As you're already aware, they're rather different beasts so you are best off holding each camera and playing around with it before you buy as the one you feel most comfortable with is probably the one you'll make the most use of.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:43 pm 
The D90 is a mid-range camera, while the 550D is still in the realm of entry level (arguably high entry-level though).

I personally prefer the D90 for it's heft in hand, top-mounted LCD, and direct controls on the body - including two control wheels -- one for aperture and one for shutter speed. It is also more solidly built. It may be heavier than the 550D, but it is way more camera, imo. ymmv.

Get both in your hands properly, take some pics, and choose the one which feels best to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:40 pm 
I agree with Rorschach. You need to see what feels best in your hand.

I had the same dilemma as you for 3 weeks. I ended up reserving both at Jessops (Canon with 18-135mm kit lens and Nikon with 18-105mm kit lens).

I took them both home, unpacked them, and played with them for a few hours. I took a few pictures with each (not too many as i was conscious one would go back) under different lighting conditions. After those trials it was decision made; the Canon 550d with 18-135mm kit lens was the one for me.

Both are great cameras, and TBH the Nikon felt more solid and professional. However, the Canon 550d was not so heavy (but not overly light and cheap), more comfortable in the hand for longer periods and (IMO) had noticably better image quality straight from the camera.

The video function on the 550d was also much better than the D90, but to be honest I could not be less interested in video!

The menu system on the Canon for me was more intuitive and the new "Q" menu made it very easy to change settings.

I had previously owned a Nikon D40 and Canon 450D, so have no axe to grind in the Canon versus Nikon war; accepting that my more recent camera was the 450d.

All that said, at the end of the day, only you can decide, others on here will have completely differing opinions because we are all different.

What i did with Jessops (in buying both cameras and trying extensively) was a bit cheeky, but for me I pay a little extra to buy from Jessops for this cheeky little act ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:41 pm 
Apologies for those non UK members. Jessops is a high street camera shop here in the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:48 pm 

Jessops is one of Camera Labs' sponsors so I'd hope at least several non-UK members are aware of them. :mrgreen:

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:50 pm 

I agree you should definitely go and try both out. Just out of interest how big is the price difference in India as in the UK they are both the same price? :D

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:47 pm 

Did you take the other camera back to them to be refunded as B Grade?
(used stock in good condition)