Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:52 pm 
Hi,
I'm new here, my name is Juju and I'm a musician. last year I started a youtube channel with a Sony cx-505 and I'm not satisfied with this cam.
For example when I'm moving too fast the image gets blurry so I guess it doesn't capture enough frames per second. I tried switching to the HD/720 mode to get 30 fps but then the quality is horrible...
It's very problematic with green screen footage also. The edges being blurry makes it impossible to get good results (see my last video on my channel if you want).
Ok so it's time for me to get something really good!
I'm thinking about the canon 5D MKII but yesterday I just found Gordon's review in which he says: "one of the biggest downsides is the continuous shooting speed....it's not fast enough to capture serious action sequences".
Since i'm moving a lot and I also want to be able to make slow motion sport stuff, what should I go for?
Thank you very much in advance for your help! :)

Ps: i'm very happy I found this forum
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:28 pm 
Do you need a DSLR with video? Would a good HD camcorder do the trick for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:46 pm 
Well apparently these DSLR's are the way to go...A lot of people seem to be using them for filming at very high level no? I also love photography and they are smaller than a big camera so since I'm travelling a lot that's a big +

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:56 pm 

If you want a DSLR, I think the 550D (budget), 7D (semi-pro camera) and 5D II (pro Full frame) are the way to go. Otherwise the Sony A33 or A55 are good too, like the Panasonic GH2.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:11 pm 
you might also look at the new 600D and the 60D for the convenience the flip screen will give as you're the subject of those movies you make... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:20 pm 

I am a bit confused do you want to take photos or video?

Honestly, unless you have something specific in mind and are prepared for a steep learning curve I would stick to DSLR`s for taking photos and video cam for taking video.

The advantage of using a DSLR is ability in low light and greater dof, dof creates a big problem as you need to be very careful with your focusing and your own movement. That naturally requires an investment in lenses and definitely an additional microphone. You certainly cannot expect to move around as easily as you can with a cam corder.

The HD video cams are much easier to use and your Sony is a good camera. Maybe consider upgrading to a more professional video camera, to get better results.

Have you tried filming with a DSLR?

By the way that is an awesome video you have produced, you may well enjoy using a DSLR for filming , but like I said be prepared to spend some cash and a lot of learning. By the time you add lenses, it may well be as big as a more professional video cam.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:02 am 
+1 -- what maxjj said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:41 am 

You might want to look at the NEX VG-10 :)...although SAR has reported that there might be a successor in the near future, it's still a great camera. With all the lenses Sony's going to offer you should find something that you like. If not, you could always get the adapter and use some superb Alpha-mount lenses like the 24-70 (boy, do I want one :P...but I'd better wait for the E-mount 'G' standard lens) or the 70-400...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 am 

juju-caster wrote:
Well apparently these DSLR's are the way to go...

For narrative shoots--read: when you have time to setup, block and do multiple takes--where you need to have shallow DoF on a relatively small budget, yes. For anything else, not so much.

Quote:
A lot of people seem to be using them for filming at very high level no?

Depends on how you define "very high level". The highest level project I can think of off hand is the TV series House, but note that a) their per episode production budget is a small fraction of a big budget Hollywood blockbuster. And b) they only used a DSLR because it helped them tell a particular story; it's not a regular occurrence.

Also, since you mention green screen work, note that the 4:2:0 color space of the 5D isn't great. And the only way to get decent 4:2:2 color is via the HDMI out on the GH2. But the GH2 has focusing and exposure issues if you zoom during a shot.

In short, as others have said, you'd probably be better off with a dedicated video camera.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:35 pm 
@maxjj : This video cam is ok but I need something more professional., even if I'm going to keep the CX-505 for dual cam work.
You said "a lot of learning" is required with a DSLR and that is something I want to avoid. I want to get my new camera and use it the next day so I might go for a good video camera then! ;)

@Joris: I looked at that NEX VG-10 but I also want something that shoots progressive.

What kind of specs should I look for to get the best quality possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:16 pm 
@Mark: I want that kind of cinema look. I agress when you say I'm better off with a dedicated video camera. Unfortunately I have very little time to read about them so I thought you guys could suggest some models.
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:58 pm 

Come on guys, it isnt impossible to shoot video with DSLRs! A friend of mine bought a DSLR (550D) only for shooting video. He's bought the 17-85 IS USM too, and really, he almost only shoots video with it. And he's still learning!
It doenst mean that if you want to shoot video with a DSLR that you have to learn how it all works (there's auto-modes) but it makes your video look much better if you understand all rules of how a DSLR works. On a dedicated film camera you too need to know a bit about the rules of photography!

After all, you get much better quality with a DSLR (noise and DR), you can switch lenses etc.
The GH2 likes to be the best film-''DSLR'' around at the moment, so check Gordon's review!

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:15 pm 
So Ruben you say that 1000€ GH2 is better than a 5D MKII that's worth maybe twice the price? I thought that to significantly improve my image I'd have to actually spend a lot more money...
i'm actually getting quite confused :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:50 pm 

No I didnt say a 5D II is better for video, but it's like.
The 5D II cant autofocus during video, for that the GH2 is much better as if focuses both quickly and quietly with descend lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:45 pm 
Ok thanks for your help.
Could you give me some info on 24p, 25p and 30p? The greater the better?
I know I'm a bit of a pain with my questions but I'm new to all these video terms and I have very little time to investigate all that.
Do you know anything about the Canon 60D?