Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC

Sony SLT 55 or Pentax K-R?
Sony A55 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Pentax K-r 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Sony A55 vs Pentax K-R
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:42 am 
Ok I'm back I have yet to make my final decision... I was all ready to purchase the Pentax K-R and then I ran across the Sony A55. Yeah its more than the K-r but is it a better camera?

I know the K-r has great images but lacks in video capabilities... The A55 has better video capabilities but how does the IQ compare to the K-r?

I know a lot of you say get a video camcorder if you want video... well its not about that so much... for me its about having the best of both worlds... I don't like lugging around lots of equipment.

Video is just as important to me as great pictures.. I want both... Yes I want my cake and to eat it too... just like the rest of you.

I am disappointed that the A55 does not have timelapse capabilities even though you can "squash" the video and have similar results...

I guess what all this hinges on is IQ vs video capability... I know as I type this I am kinda answering my own questions but I still want to hear from you guys... you all have been so helpful to get me to the point I am at.

I am also looking for things I missing... things that can't be found on the internet.. the things you only learn from using the camera... for example... the A55 when using it in the burst mode (10 fps!) is that continuous or does it stop to catch up or is that in live view only... stuff like that.

I don't have a camera shop where I am to go find these things out so the internet is the next best thing.

Thank you for all your help!

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:42 pm 
Chuck -- have you read through any reviews? The burst mode will be closely related to buffering and memory card speed. I recall reading something somewhere about the 10 fps being optimal based on a bunch of parameters. You will definitely want to double check that yourself.

Because I am totally not into the video/DSLR thing, I can't really comment on "the best of both worlds". However, if you are really interested in the A55, check out some of the Sony DSLR forums on the web. There are plenty of users out there and they'll be able to give you the straight goods on the camera. I would say that the Sony viewfinder is very much trend-setting in it's approach. I am seeing a few Olympus owners who don't consider themselves as candidates for the e5 going to Sony and they all report that they are very happy with what they have found there. Carl Zeiss glass is wonderfully good.

Have you been into your local camera shop to get both cameras in your hand's yet? Be sure you do that -- and take in a memory card with you so you can see first hand what kind of IQ you will get from the two cameras. You'll get to test the fps speed as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:35 pm 

"The A55 has better video capabilities but how does the IQ compare to the K-r? "

Pentax dropped Samsung as a sensor supplier and is using Sony sensors on their new cameras, so the IQ should be the same.

CL doesn't have a review on either, but popphoto named the A55 "camera of the year" and they have a new review (although a short one) on the K-r up right now.

If you can swing the "extra $$" you may want to look at the A580 (body only), it has the "latest and greatest" sensor (same as the D7000 & K-5) for less money.

Camera bodies last a LONG time, so don't let the extra couple of hundred $ put you off, especially if you spread it over 8-10 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:26 pm 

Sounds to me like the A55 might be better suited to your overall needs, notably because video is fairly important too. IQ wise, there's likely little difference between the KR and A55 for most shooting. Though they are indeed using Sony sensors across the board now, oddly the KR sensor was a slight step different from the KX, which used the same 14MP sensor as the Sony A550 & NEX series. The KR uses a 12MP Sony sensor, which isn't currently in use in Sony's own lineup...it is likely some evolution of Sony's 12MP sensor from the A500. It's a fine sensor, so no problems...just wanted to point out that the A55 has moved to the new 16MP APS-C sensor, which Pentax uses in their mid-level K5. So the Sony will have a resolution advantage - and high ISO performance is probably close to a draw, with the A55 sensor performing a little better, but losing a little bit of light to the pellicle mirror.

Unless you have any issues with the smaller body size or feel of the Sony, it would seem to be better tuned to a combination of fast still AND good video performance, so seemingly the better choice. I can't imagine the Pentax KR having any still image advantages (The more expensive K5 would probably be a bit better than both at higher ISOs), and the Sony has a clear video advantage.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:28 pm 
Yes I have read many many reviews on the A55 and the K-R, so I know the what each can and cannot do, except for those kinds of things that only a hands on experience can give. as I stated before... I do not have a camera shop anywhere close to me... except a best buy 60 miles away and they don't have either of the cameras I am looking for.

As for looking for a Sony forum... I am doing this as I write this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:36 pm 

This is the most active one...

http://www.dyxum.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:45 pm 
Thank you zackiedawg for your input... thats what I want to hear... its a tough decision for me... because initially I only wanted to spend around $500 on a new camera... but I am now a bit more educated on the subject and with me that is dangerous for my pocketbook!

Thanks WestCoast.. I'll head over there now!

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:19 pm 
I have also been seeing alot about the Sony A580... alot of people are recommending it... it does have a bit better IQ than the A55... but for my needs the AF video is more to my liking... thanks for the advice on that.

Also I think I have a solution for the lack of a timelapse feature the A55 has... I'll just get a WIRELESS Timer Remote... that should let me make the timelapse videos I want to make.

Again Thank you all for your comments and help.

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:34 pm 

Exactly right on the time lapse. I've seen several timer wireless and wired remotes that have time lapse capability - some of the wired ones were very reasonable, and could do up to 999 photos with variable intervals from 1 second to 999 seconds. Personally for that type of shooting (time lapse) I wouldn't care to go wireless, because I'd worry about any reception issues during the shoot - wired would seem more reliable for me - just start the program, velcro it to the leg of the tripod and let it do its job.

The A580 would have better IQ than the A55 - not much in it for the lower ISOs but definitely slightly better at the higher ISOs...but no AF during video, so I'd still likely recommend the A55 over the A580 for your stated needs.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:29 pm 
you all have been a great help... I just want to thank you one last time before I make the leap! Now I just need to take that first step... its a big one for me!

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:20 pm 
Best of luck, Chuck - we are looking forward to seeing some pics and videos.