Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:16 pm 

Very simply my question which is the best??? I want a good all rounder which is very good for sports photography, can take good video & is easy to use bearing in mind this is my first step into the world of DSLR. I have narrowed my search down to these 3 but I just cannot make up my mind. Thanks in advance Padraig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:53 pm 
They are all good, as are many others by these brands. Go to a shop and buy the one you prefer the feel of. That will be the one you are happiest with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:41 pm 

More info needed. What cameras have you considered, before narrowing your search to these? What reasons did you choose to narrow down to these ones? What types of photography do you need them for (daytime kids playing sports, indoor kid sports, outdoor fast sports, professional sports, professional indoor sports? Personal use or professional use? What do you consider important in video - aperture control, autofocus, both, neither? What other photography might you use the cameras for?

Right off the bat, one can see you've got three not-really-comparable cameras you've narrowed down to, which makes one wonder what your criteria were to arrive at these three. Based on price alone? Brand name? Features? Image quality or ability? The 500D is a very entry-level model, not as good at higher ISOs and not very fast at continuous shooting. The D5000 is an outgoing model discontinued recently - a nicer entry model with good high ISO ability, and some lens limitations as it doesn't have an in-body focus motor. The KR is a brand-new model and better at high ISO and a fast shooter compared to the others, with a more limited overall lens selection from Pentax. All, by the way, are fine cameras - but different photographers with different needs would likely not even cross shop some of these cameras.

I'd say if 'sports' is going to include any challenging lighting or tracking motion, the Pentax is going to be a bit faster at continuous frame rate, with the Nikon a notch behind, and both capable at higher ISO levels. I'd encourage you to revisit other brands and models too, as there are some which would be comparable to these two which aren't on your list, such as the Canon T2, Sony A500/550/580, Sony A33/55, Nikon D3100, and Pentax K5...it would be good to know why those weren't on your list or why you eliminated those from consideration.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:01 pm 
And if U ask me, camera's like the T2i or the 550D are very beginner friendly. If you do some reading about the basics of photography and do some reading on this forum/website. You'll begin to understand pretty quickly.

I can't speak for the other cameras but from what if heard/seen, they are slightly more complicated. But don't quote me on that because I have little to no knowledge about these cameras.

If you do want to go for a Rebel for example, do keep in mind that the slow continous shooting will not be ideale for shooting sports.

Each camera and brand will have it's strong and weak points.. up to you to find out wich one suites you best. Just remember to maybe test the cameras you are considering or atleast do allot of reading. So you know exactly what you are buying :wink:

Good luck finding your camera!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm 

If video recording is that important to you, you may have to consider crossing out the D5000 as it can only shoot 720p videos for up to five minutes regardless of the capacity of your memory card. It also can't auto-focus in video mode either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:30 am 

The D3100 has full time AF during video (Which is 1080p by the way), it has a pretty good Sony 14MP sensor with low noise and pretty good for beginners. It's 3FPS frame rate may be a bit slow for sports, however you could be the judge of that. It'd certainly recommend it.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:16 pm 

for Me it is Canon.

Design and layout

simplicity
stand alone shutter (no switches surrounding it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:34 am 

For me, the Canon of course!

go for the 550D, its like a mini version of a 7D!

User friendly button layout (not like nikon spread all over everywhere)

well the nikon has fulltime AF on video mode, but it miss focuses the object most of the times if you want to film something moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:09 pm 

Sigh, Canon fanboys! :roll:

What the final decision really does come down to is which one feels better in your hands. Which button layout do you like the best? Which one would you like to hold all day long in practice? Go to your local camera shop and try them all out. Whichever one feels the best in your hands should be the one that you purchase. I like the Nikon's button placement and the feel of the shutter buttons (At least the 'squishy' shutter button on my D7000), ergo I bought Nikon. However, you may like the Pentax or Canon.

As for the fulltime AF, I think that Don is right, it's pretty much useless.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:19 pm 

Sigh, Canon OR Nikon fanboys...:lol:

Just sayin', apparently we all tend to recommend the brand we use personally ;)...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:45 pm 
@Joris Van den Berghe

I guess that's a good sign, that we al chose the right camera :D

There will propably be few "bad" camera's...