Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Camera and lense?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:55 am 
Hi guys and dolls, I was just woundering about buying a new camera.

So my qustion is, do I buy a camera with the lense that come with it, or do I buy a cheaper frame with a better lense. Now I no the question gose deeper then that so let me explian better.(i hope)

My thoughts are that I can always upgrade both of them later, but witch would be better to start. also I would be taking mostly sports photos like moutian biking, soccer and motor sports.

Soo what brand, What frame and what lense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 pm 

Pick the best lense you can afford.....then the body.
Presume you'll need a decent fast(ish)zoom?

What is your total budget?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:45 pm 
Here's one opinion of the less body - more lens option - which, btw, you will fine many people subscribe to.

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/pro-dslr-a ... ticle.html

It's worth the 12 minutes to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 pm 
hey guys thanks for the help, although im not ready to buy, I can now start to look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:36 pm 
Think of it this way. The second you walk out of a shop, the camera body is worth nothing. Worse again is that later down the road it will be one upped and old news.

A lens on the other hand holds its value and never gets old.

I know where Id rather put my money :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 pm 
Thanks for that vid jwnrw

I love digitalRev! :D I already got the 550D like in the video, but I'm afraid I'm going to lack the budget for a few L-lenses :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:42 am 

Haha, Kai and Lok C are brilliant!

As mentioned, glass is worth more and holds it's value. I still use my old primes that are probably at least 30 years old! As I like to say, bodies come and go but glass is forever! Try to spend around half the value of the body on a lens at least, you'll be pretty much guaranteed to have a good, quality lens if you do.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:13 pm 

Matz45 wrote:
I love digitalRev! :D I already got the 550D like in the video, but I'm afraid I'm going to lack the budget for a few L-lenses :?
You don't NEED L-lenses. They have an excellent build quality but at least you can get a similar image quality with some "lower" lenses, too. :wink:

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:21 pm 
Yes I know, but I'm afraid I lack the budget for those too :lol:

And I find the zoomrange on the kitlens quite restricting, as wel as the maximum aperture.. but I'll get there some day, for now I just need to save up and keep taking photos :D

Now back on topic! :wink: