Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: nikon d3000 to canon t2i
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:26 am 
thinking of selling my d3000 to pick up a canon t2i. what do you guys think? i dont have any equipment for the nikon that i care about so it wont be a big problem switching brands. only reason why i bought the d3000 in the first place was because my dad has these old MF lenses but its just too annoying to MF without the splitting viewfinder thing.

how much do you think i can get for the d3000 and the 18-55 kit lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:08 am 

Hi nodrog321,

May I offer you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

It's a fair question though the ultra-suspicious might think that, as a first post here at CameraLabs, it's sailing perilously close to being an advert, something we don't allow here on the forum.

You don't say where you are but I'll assume it is the States and refer you to this Amazon page for used D3000 kits. You can also check out ebay as well. So much depends on the condition of the camera and also, to an extent, the trust that any potential purchaser has in you.

But I would ask that we do not get into a further discussion about the condition of your D3000 as I would definitely regard such a discussion as an attempt to sell the camera here on the forum.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:00 pm 
thanks for the reply. sorry, didnt mean to make it sound like i was trying to sell it here. just wanted to get some ballpark figures on the value of the camera. i was watching a listing on ebay and the price that it ended at was pretty much what i expected. thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:10 pm 
Why not look at a D90? They are seeing price drops with the recent introduction of the new D7000. All those manual focus lenses are classic -- maybe what you want it is to look at an after-marked microprism viewfinder adapter to take better advantage of those lenses you have?

Yes manual focus without the microprism screen is difficult, but I'd be looking to take advantage of the lenses that way instead of ditching your current camera for a different make. Just my thoughts, ymmv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:04 pm 
hmm is the d90 like the d3000/5000? where you need the AF motors in the lens? its kind of out of my price range. and the lens thing is one of the turn offs i have for the d3000. the 50mm that i want to get for it is like $400. while the one for canon is only $100. i know the f/ is different but for 1/4 the price i rather go over to canon. t2i being a better camera compared to the d3000 and it seems that canon lenses are a bit cheaper and more cross compatibility. i may be wrong though, but thats what ive seen lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:58 pm 

nodrog321 wrote:
hmm is the d90 like the d3000/5000? where you need the AF motors in the lens?...

Nope. It has its own AF motor. The features page of Gordon's review refers.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:30 pm 
thanks, but i think im still leaning towards the t2i. one question though, i know the t2i is limited to 4gb of video recording. but is that 4gb TOTAL, or just 4gb at a time? so if i have for example a 16 gb card, would i be able to take 4 chunks of 4gb worth of video? (assuming the card is empty and has exactly 16gb?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:17 pm 

"At a time". It's an individual file size limit.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:21 pm 
Just to be clear, the D90 will focus with any Nikon AF lens -- ones with the AF motor built in, and ones relying on the older screw-type mechanism which is body-based. So the best of both worlds.

Where are you buying? Here in Canada, I have seen the D90 lately at the same price point as the T2i --- so I don't get that it's out of your price range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:52 pm 

yea and there is a 50mm f1.8 lens for d90 that will auto focus at the same price as canons, and you could still use your old lens..

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:19 pm 
over here in the states, the d90 with the 18-105 is $950. the t2i, is maybe around $750.

the d90 is a little outdated though right? i know these are meant to take pictures, but i like the video feature on the t2i. it seems to be better compared to the video on the d90. i mean i probably wont be using it as much, but its something good to have IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:37 pm 

what i read on forum and online, the d90 is better camera, and still has hd video and better image quality, and i think you could find it cheaper if you looked around a bit..

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:09 pm 
Current Cdn pricing on the D90 body is as low as 678 at the moment - cheaper than the body-only price of the T2i which is at $750. You can get it with the 18-105VR kit lens for 928 -- an excellent price for the combo - given that the 18-105 VR may well be Nikon's best priced walk-around lens. But with the lenses you have, the body at 678 is an excellent deal, I think.

The thing to remember here is that the D90 is a mid-range DSLR, while the T2i is an "upper-entry-level" DSLR. By this I mean that there are some specifically telling features that set the D90 apart from the T2i - which, don't get me wrong here -- is a fine camera in and of itself.

The D90 has two (yes, count them - 2) control wheels -- one in front and one in the rear of the camera -- making it vastly easier to work with settings. The D90 also has a top-mounted LCD which contains all your settings -- another huge advantage - and a common one when you move up the food chain to mid-range bodies.

The D90 will certainly feel far more solid than either you current D3000 - but should also feel a higher quality of build when compared to the T2i.

Don't be thinking because the D90 came out 18 months or so ago that it is somehow inferior technology to the T2i. In fact, I would opt for a used D80 before I went with a T2i. If you are set on Canon -- then look at the 50D which was replaced last fall by the 60D -- you might be able to get one at a good price.

To be honest -- with your current investment in older lenses for the Nikon, I'd be looking at the D90 and considering an after-market micro-prism if you are really struggling with manual focus. Changing manufacturers given your legacy of lenses doesn't quite make sense to me at this point. But -- in the end, it's your $$ -- and this is all based on my own opinions and experience.

To me, video is an over-rated feature on DSLRs - but I am a traditionalist -- and ymmv.