Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:46 pm 

Hi Everyone!

I'm grateful for EVERYBODY's work and input at CameraLabs.

And… I would be so grateful to hear what STANDS OUT to YOU as most significant advantages, and/or your thoughts if you happened to care about what I claim to care about (below). Please, everyone, chime in on ANYTHING you think might tip the scale…

I may well be a philistine, but for photography, I (for one, maybe the only one :shock:) LOVE the articulated screen. I have some physical issues, AND my early forays in with the flippy screen helped me SEE things in so many new ways. (Enough defensiveness, sorry.)

So, if you had $XX and a choice of one new camera and one lens (and happened to love the flippy screen despite its certain disadvantages for photo...), would you go with

a) Olympus E-5 wZuiko 12-60 2.8-4.0 or
b) Canon 60D w17-55 2.8 is/USM

I've narrowed it down this far: either way, I get flippy scr. + a WAY BETTER THAN KIT lens (both arguably best in class, according to Gordon and about everyone else).

I've read reviews far and wide, comparing everything. Everybody is disappointed with both in lots of and different ways (in terms of body).

If I had to say what's most important to me, now, I'd probably go in this order (roughly):

Photo over video, low light capability w/o flash, best, sharpest, most honest overall picture, fastest-most accurate autofocus speed, image stabilization (in body on Oly combo, in lens in Canon combo), functionality of use with flippy screen… don’t care about video, art filters, in cam processing…

Can someone tell me WHY the OLY is still 12 bit? Does THAT matter?? (esp. given lens quality?)

Okay, please, fight fair, keep it clean, and know that I would be most grateful for your thoughts.

Most Sincerely, and best wishes to you all,

Superdonut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Both would be really nice kits.

Having tested both lenses, I can tell you the Olympus is better, and it's also a broader range, going a bit wider and longer.

I haven't tested the E5, so can't comment on quality.

I'd also say a lot boils down to which feels best in your hands - can you try them in person?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:27 pm 

Hi Superdonut,

Please take a moment to refresh your knowledge of our forum rules.

Asking the same question in three different sections potentially wastes fellow members time as they may provide an answer already offered elsewhere. I've deleted your two other threads, neither of which had attracted an answer.

Good luck with your search.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:22 am 
Oly glass rules --- period.

But the recent developments and future of the FourThird format has some people concerned. The E-5 is a beautiful camera -- I would say a step above the 60D - but that's just my opinion. 12MP seems to be the optimum pixel count for the FourThirds sensor. Not sure why, but better to get the best out of what you have then try to keep cramming more and more in if it makes little difference -- ymmv on that count though (no pun intended).

The 60D is a wonderful camera as well -- I just happen to be partial to Oly-Zuiko glass which is second to none in my opinion. The 12-60 being the ultimate walk-around lens for the FourThirds crowd.

To be honest, it's actually pretty hard to choose a bad camera when these two are what you are considering.