Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help !!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:38 pm 
It's like this -

Had a phone call from father today - he has no computer, still stuck in FP4 land - good on him !!

He's talked himself into buying a digi compact, the ony 2 criteria are:

* Cost no more that 200 GBP
* The camera must have a view finder

I would be greatfull for any suggestions, opinions or ideas.

I have to collect him in the morning and go do the deed

Kindest regards

Robin Hood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:58 pm 

I know the Canon 95.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:59 pm 
is he bothered about brand, like canon, or nikon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:13 pm 

Does he need a PC too? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:49 am 

I second Ruben's suggestion of the Canon Powershot S95, it's IQ and low-light performance is excellent, plus he'll enjoy the nice compact size. Just make sure that if he's looking for ease of use, he steers clear of the full manual mode!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:55 am 
Evank, etc - Did anyone actually 'read' what the OP's father actually needs?

The OP clearly said, including:

* Cost no more that 200 GBP
* The camera must have a view finder

The S95 in the UK costs about:

- "Canon PowerShot S95 black (4343B011) from £ 287.99"

- The S95 has no viewfinder.

The OP's father might be in the age-group where many tend to wear glasses (as am I) - so having a camera that has to be held out in front of the eyes to aim-compose-and-focus, can be a problem.

The S95 has a 3.8x optical zoom. Older people find a bit more "Zoom" to be an advantage, as they can avoid long walks to get closer to things, and having to climb over or through things.

We "over-50s" (I'm 62) - do find Fast Continuous, even with a P&S, to be a benefit with moving objects, etc.

- The S95 does a best of 1.9fps.

There are a lot of other 10Mpix cameras that have rather more than 3.8x Zoom, do have a viewfinder, do as well or better on Continuous, and cost from under half to two-thirds the price of the S95.

Those that use rechargeable AAs and Alkalines as alternative can be an advantage, unless the user has also been gifted several power-packs the user could charge and take away on a trip. When their in-camera and backup set of rechargeable AAs are drained, AA-Alkalines are available everywhere at modest cost.

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:04 am 

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize that the S95 didn't have a viewfinder. However on the price side, intriguingly enough I've seen some S95s going for around $320 around here, which is about £205 or so. Perhaps the prices in the UK are slightly different.

Most compacts now-a-days don't have viewfinders, aside from the large super-zoom models with their digital viewfinders and some of the "Advanced Compact" models like the G12. I was able to find one though, the Canon Powershot SD780 IS, which seems to be a good camera that has an optical viewfinder and fits the budget.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:12 am 

I meant the IXUS 95 which cost $120 over here.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:15 am 

None the less, you can never go wrong with the S95! :wink:

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:20 am 

Haha, indeed :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:20 am 
EvanK - When the S90 was released, before the S95 - friends and I here were surprised to see that such an expensive P&S doesn't have something as basic as a P&S-style EVF... Just looked at Sydney pricing on the S95 - AUD$509.00 (same as USD - they're at parity at present) - which isn't unusual, as cameras and accessories are 35-50% higher than US prices here.

But that seems to be the style with P&S cameras these days - most Makers seem to be minimising on "working" features, and replacing them with the much cheaper software "gmmicks" functions... A $500.00+ camera without a viewfinder is rather like a $50,000.00 car that has no seats... That is - at that price, you expect to get some seats - however basic.

A lady friend of ours "liked the features" of the S90 when it was released - then discovered - no viewfinder - and no AA batteries. End of sale - she bought a rather cheaper Fuji that has both.

It might well be that Makers assume that people buying under-$500.00 P&S cameras are all young folk with rock-steady hands when held at arm's length - and perfect eyesight to see the now usually 75mm / 3" LCDs at that distance. And that the "very few" people over 50-ish who buy P&S cameras - will pay over $500.00 to get a Bridge Camera or DSLR with a viewfinder.... :roll:

There are actually people under 50 who wear glasses - even some teens and kids. The younger ones can hold the camera steady - after they've changed their glasses to get a sharp image on the LCD at that reach. We older folk, might not be that steady - even after changing our glasses.

As for the decisions by many P&S Makers to move away from AAs to the lower power storage "Unobtanium" power-packs - rather strange. As mentioned above, some families in our bunch of friends have several P&S cameras - and with a couple of exceptions, all use AAs and are fed Eneloops.

Partly because several sets of Eneloops for a camera are a lot cheaper than several power-packs - partly because all of 2-3 or more cameras being used on a trip can use the backup charged Eneloops - and partly because if they do run out - the "spare" AA Alkalines (bought in a 16-pack for $11.00) - will also power any of the cameras.

Perhaps the Makers of P&S cameras could copy Pentax's new K-R - it comes with a power-pack, but there's also an adaptor for 4 x AAs. You can buy 3 sets of 4 AAs for less than the price of 1 spare power-pack - and each set will last longer than a power-pack....

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:47 pm 
Hi Guy's,

Can I say a big thanks !!

The Deed has been done!! Camera purchased.

Interestingly the shop pushed us towards the Fujifilm?

I said to my Father before we went that I had made this post, he was supprised but understood the value of your honest opinions, as do I.

We talked and agreed either Panasionic or Canon.

In the end Canon won the day- this was purley on the handling and feel of the camera, nothing else. Also, manged to get him to go without view finder and to buy a medium priced camera, 'Canon SX 210' which will allow a number of features and settings.

I took Dad home and got the thing on charge after running through the basic controls with him. He seemed pleased. He's going walking in the Derbyshire Dales, tommorrow, Thursday and taking it with him - I await the results??

I'm well pleased

Thanks Guy's

Robinhood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:03 pm 

Quote:
'Canon SX 210'

I think that you mean the SX210 IS.

Great camera choice! He'll like the 15 optical zoom for getting close up, and he'll probably enjoy the video mode as well if a picture simply doesn't say enough. Hope to see the results soon!

-Evan

- Ansel Adams