Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:05 pm 

Forcing my face against a little window at the top of the camera, with sun shining in between, and a steamed up LCD screen for 95% coverage of a pre-exposed estimation just doesn't cut it for me.

I have to put my hand over the top, which leaves no hands free for focussing, and the camera becomes unstable. I could use a right angled viewfinder attachment, or similar, but the screen works a treat for manual photography, when it can be seen.

When the light is too bright, I have to resort to the viewfinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:19 am 

Every photographer had to have his head to the camera's viewfinder, that photography. Since the DSLRs have become cheaper, people moved from compact cameras to DSLRs, but one ''problem'' they noticed was they could not use the LCD screen to frame the shot. They wanted a screen, and I must say for macro and astrophotograohy it is a must, but to use the LCD instead of the v/f,... no.

Beginners have to learn what an F stop is, you too had to learn where the break in the car is? I mean, there are things you just have to learn and to know, P(rogram Auto), beginners modes (like CA on Canons), internet, books etc., there's so many possibilities to learn about your camera, you cant say you need Live View or you cant understand photography. Many DSLRs did not have Live View, including the Nikon D3000. And, the Nikon is a beginners-camera. And how do you think I had to learn photogtaphy with a 35mm film camera? I didnt have an LCD screen, I didnt have books, I didnt have internet, I didnt have......

Maybe, before mods close the topic, it's a possibility to start a new topic in the off-topic section. Bob? Could you copy some of the posts here and open a new topic? Thanks.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:30 am 

Hi Ruben,

As if I hadn't got enough to do! I have been keeping an eye on this thread lately, as I tend to with any thread that develops a life independent of further input from its OP. I'd say that it might be best to wait until Chucky comes back to the thread and then decide...

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:47 pm 

Haha, sorry Bob! Well, Id like to see Chuckie coming back, but it's quite a time ago he was online though, but well wait...

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:56 pm 
Have been reading topic regulary sorry for not inputting enough just taking in all opinions and doing a little research.

Still not so sure but now swaying towards 550d and looking into better lens after a couple of months with the kit lens.

Then just as im about to make the purchase i think that i wouldnt be entirely happy until i get thta D7000 :?

Like my tech too much to get entry level in any products i buy.

Its not really like ill have to upgrade it in the next 5 years???

What do you think ?? Is this a beginners type of view anyway? Dont get me wrong i would also like the 550d just got to bite the bullet and decide :wink:

Any input grateful - and thanks all for you help so far :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:39 pm 

Why do you exactly want the D7000 and not the 550D?
What do you really want with your DSLR? Maybe the 60D, 50D and 500D, like the D90 are options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:48 pm 

Chucky, when I started looking in August I was really confused & in the same boat as you. I knew next to nothing about Dslr.

I read reviews till my eyes bled :lol: I was initially thinking about the D3100 (even possibly the D5000) with a budget around £1000 & then registered on here & asked numerous questions & took as much advice as poss on camera AND lenses.

I've finally ended up very happy with the D7000 & 3 lenses (so far 8) ) but the budget has trebled! (tbh I knew it would, but expected it to be over a year or so)

Get the best you can afford, without wasting money on kit lenses if you are likely to waste that money by discarding them for `better` lenses in the very short term.

If you know you'll have extra money for glass over the coming months, get 1 good lens now, then add to later.
If your TOTAL budget really is C£1000 & unlikely to change soon, get those couple of quality lenses 1st then camera body 2nd.

Good luck.
Whichever decision YOU make, IS the right one. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:19 pm 
thanks....getting towards a decision now ;)