Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:40 am 

There are 2 sensor types for this type of camera.

Full Frame - You see everything, this is the conventional sort
Cropped Frame - The sensor is smaller

With a full frame, your viewfinder will usually show the entire of the image, where as with cropped frame, the viewfinder will only show you 95% of the image, for instance.

The 7D is only a cropped frame camera, and is the highest up in the range.

It will take a bit of working out to try and determine which configuration is best for you. As you know, there are zoom lenses or fixed ones. Within each category, there are several variants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:24 pm 
Chucky - you may want to spend a few minutes and watch this video on the question of lower-end body/expensive glass vs higher-end body/cheapo glass.

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/pro-dslr-a ... ticle.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:35 pm 

Canon 500D, good to see usually in your post, because there are cropped frame cameras which have 100% coverage, like the new Nikon D7000, and some FF DSLRs with less than 100% coverage, like the 5D which has only 96% coverage. The size of the FF vs cropped frame is the main advantage of a FF (not coverage).

cheers

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:24 pm 

I know that it is not the same thing, but thought that this was how it generally was. It is interesting to see that Nikon do a FF model lower down in the series, and I would expect the 5D to have 100% coverage through the viewfinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:17 pm 

I agree it's a kinda strange Canon dont make 100% v/f on their 5D series.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:12 pm 

Lets be honest though, the viewfinders are not that great anyway. They are ample, they work, but they are not brilliant, and only show the image how it looks prior to adjusting the settings.

I use the live view most of the time, I can see everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:37 am 

Nah, I prefer the v/f :wink: The 350D hasnt Live View! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:20 pm 

Ruben123 wrote:
Nah, I prefer the v/f The 350D hasnt Live View

Yes, That is what they all say.

On a serious note though, when you are using the more manual modes, you need to see what the image will look like post-exposure, and the live view only shows how it looks prior to adjusting any settings.

Cameras do have a depth of field preview button, but I find that the screen just flickers for a second, and that it is, it isn't really much use.

Beginners need live view really, otherwise they won't know what they are doing, nor see the consequence of their decisions (eg too dark), until after the photograph is exposed, resulting in taking more images.

I like to see what is going on, so as mentioned before, the majority of the time, I use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:58 pm 

I dont agree beginners need Live View. Live View only exists for a few years, so...
And there's an exposure-meter in the viewfinder to check the exposure. Years and years ago in the age of the 35mm film SLRs, you didnt have Live View nor a screen to check your photos. In that time people were ''real'' photographers (dont take that too serious), they had to take the picture and saw it maybe a week, or a month later. You had to write down which settings you used on which photo, and check if it's become what you wanted to become. No, beginners dont need Live View, but it'll give them a more simple view of what they're exactly doing. ''O, all in the picture is sharp, how could that be? I want a blurred picture! I use f/32, what happens if I use f/1,7?''
Years ago that could have taken a month or longer to explore that, now it could take a few minutes. Still I dont agree beginners must have LV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:13 pm 
Ruben makes really important points about DLSRs and viewfinders. Even when I first went to a digital camera -- a Canon G3, I preferred using the optical viewfinder to the live view screen which was small and hard on my eyes. The optical vf was faster, even with the lens encroaching on the view. That along with the G3's top-mounted LCD screen made it really easy to use as I had easy access to information.

And with my e-620, I have it down so well, that I can make the majority of my changes to just about any of the settings without taking the camera away from my eye -- which is what I did when I shot with my film SLR back in the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:16 pm 

Id almost say people buy this time only DSLRs because of the mirror. I mean, mirrorless ''DSLRs'' are there more than enough, so why should you buy a DSLR then? I guess because of the v/f... D'oh, I did!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:32 pm 

Coming late to this thread I may have missed an earlier context but I'm detecting some confusion about the use of the term full-frame (or FF). That should only apply to the sensor size IMHO. When talking about viewfinders it's more usual to refer to "100% coverage" when the viewfinder shows everything (e.g. the 7D) or when the viewfinder shows less a figure less than 100 (95% for the 550D for example).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:53 pm 
Good point, Bob -- -I didn't even see the FF references myself until I saw your reply and then re-read through some posts. FF should only refer to the sensor size and how it compares to the traditional 35mm size frame of a SLR camera.

Coverage -- as you so aptly put it -- refers to how much of the end picture is seen through a viewfinder or live-view function. I don't believe the OP is considering a full frame camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 pm 

I was just saying that generally, consumer models come with a cropped frame sensor and a cropped frame viewfinder.

Ruben,
Beginners don't know what an F Stop is, so the screen will help them to learn quicker.

The Live view certainly helped me to learn the DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:26 pm 

well i haven't commented in a while but i find it interesting, i have nikon p100 that uses live view all the time (evf or screen) and i started learning about photography, but i found out the most with my practica lb2 and ovf with depth of field preview, it just gave me more feel of the photo, so today i prefer using ovf over anything else to find my image, i use live view for macro only when on tripod..

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next