Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:02 pm 

I would get a zoom to start with, as you probably won't be used to it being fixed. Then get a prime as a secondry lens to use where and when required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:18 pm 

Rather than a standard kit-lens, I decided to go body only + the 16-85. (happy I did tbh)
If you find your budget a little short for what you really want.....WAIT, a few weeks patience can ultimately make such a difference.
Shop around too, prices vary quite a bit, you MAY be able to get your chosen set up then. :wink: (Also consider pre-owned lenses from reputable dealers)
Good luck with your decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:22 pm 

You can get new and used everything, it just depends what you want at the time.

I know several people who purchase used products, which they are mostly satisfied with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:23 pm 

I buy used product, and it's very good for your wallet :lol:
Some people just sell their stuff even though it's new, but the price is way lower!

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:56 pm 

No offense taken Ruben, I'll admit that I've done that before. There are many other options on the market, I'm sure that if I owned a 60D or some other DSLR I would be recommending it with whatever lens I purchased, but any camera of it's class would probably be just fine.

Continuing on with the current discussion, it could be a nice decision to purchase second-hand. Ive heard of people using a lens, deciding that they don't like it, and not being able to return it. So, they sell it.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:02 pm 

At a very good price point, Evan;)

Im glad youre not angry, youre not the first photographer which is only recommending his camera;)

Cheers

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:57 pm 

There is nothing wrong with reccomending the product that you own and love. I doubt many of us have tried multiple brands and models, nor conducted excessive testing of such items, in any case.

There are several factors to weigh up when making the decision. It may be one small thing that puts you off, for example, a button is in a place that you do not like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:24 am 

That's right, it would be hard to come up with a final verdict without trying out each camera, and using them in practice. Some things are also personal preferences as mentioned before, for instance, I absolutely HATE the placement of the ISO button and the adjustment wheel on the Canons, but again, that's my opinion.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:55 am 

I find that with the 1000D/450D/500/550D, the button placement is exactly how it is supposed to be. The depth of field preview button is in a strange place, but that doesn't get used an arful lot on practice anyway.

Some of the other Canons, and Nikons have the buttons down the left hand side of the screen, and this is not a natural position for me.

I like the finger dial where it is, and the ISO button is very conviniently located.

I do not require a seperate exif screen either.

The 500D ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:48 am 

I personally love the top display, it's great for quick info. However, some 'Older-Folk' complain about it being too small. Oh well, personal opinions once again!

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:39 pm 

Does the content also display on the main screen?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:50 am 
If you’re a beginner (like me) and looking at point-and-shoot digital cameras, it’s a good rule of thumb to limit your search to brands that have a pre-digital history of quality camera making (ex. Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc) rather than computer companies who got into cameras because of their digital expertise (ex. HP, Panasonic, Casio, etc). Of course, there are exceptions on both sides of the equation, so your mileage may vary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:01 am 

I can get the content on the main screen by pushing the "INFO" button, although as it drains battery life I generally use the top display.

I once owned an HP photosmart E327, and it wasn't very photosmart! It lasted about a year if I remember correctly, before I exchanged it with my Powershot A460. I'd stay away from those brands as well! Although, IMHO Panasonic makes great cameras, probably better compacts than Nikon the famous camera manufacture!

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:23 pm 

Yes, Panasonic do four thirds / four thirds micro under the name of Lumix.

I don't really know that much about them though yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:56 am 
So by what guide lines i've read it would be better to spend my £1000 on a DSLR and better lenses than kit lens.

I am new to DSLR, and also with previous tech ive always gone for the best i can afford.

So getting a £1000 body and kit lens for a new player like myself isnt the way to go?? Would i get more benefit from a cheaper body and splashing out on the lenses.

Or shall i get a better body and learn to use it with a kit lens?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next