Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:43 pm 

Just one thing to add: don't splurge on the camera body and get a cheap lens. If you have to choose between the D7000+18-55 VR, or the D90+18-105 VR+35 F/1.8, I would go for the latter combination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:41 pm 
+1 -- the 18-105VR is a very nice walk-around lens. Miles and miles superior to the 18-55VR kit lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:12 pm 
good point you guys are rising up.

should I go with the kit lens or the body it self and buy a better/higher quality lens?

I know that I want to have a lens that is able to let me take different kind of picture (close-up to landscape, etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:19 am 

Hello Daver, welcome to the forums!

One of my favorite sayings is that a picture is made of of this: 2% body, 8% lens and 90% photographer. Obviously being a good photographer is the most important, but aside from that, the lens has more of an effect on the image than the body. You could go for the 18-55 or 18-105, but if I could make a recommendation, I'd either go for the Nikkor 35mm F1.8 DX AF-S prime, it's fast and sharp and costs about $100 less than the 18-105. You could also look into the Nikkor 50mm F1.8 FX AF prime, built for full-frame cameras. Even though it's for full frame cameras, it still works very well on DX format cams. Although, note that the D3000, D3100 and D5000 won't auto-focus with this lens, as it requires an AF motor, which those cameras lack. It would work fine on a D90 or up. For zoom lenses, you could consider the 16-85mm, it's pretty sharp for a zoom, one of the highest quality DX zooms on the market IMO. For all purpose lenses, take a look at the Nikkor 18-200mm. It goes from wide, to telephoto, and that quality isn't bad. Although optically it probably isn't as good as a 16-85, it's still pretty good.

For the bodies, the D90 should fit your needs fine! It's already two years old but the images that it produces are still superb! Also, ever since the D7000 was released, the price dropped dramatically. I could walk into a store, and pick one up body alone for the same price as a D5000 with an 18-55! I'd recommend that you purchase a D90.

I hope that I helped!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:37 am 
I really though about it and I think I will go with the D90. I think I can't get a better deal of that.

Question I have about the D90.

Knowing that it have a motor in the body to drive the lens without one. Can I still use lens that have a motor on them? If so, which motor will drive the lense?

Thanks!

-Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:03 am 
Good choice, imo.

The D90 is compatible with both Nikon AF systems. Older lenses rely on the screw mechanism in the body to focus, while newer lenses have the motors built in. The camera knows which is which based on the lens-body interface. You don't have to worry about a thing there.