Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:44 pm 
Hi, please suggest me a medium budget SLR camera and a perfect lens to match my need. I will be mainly using it to take indoor and low light photographs. Auto focus should be fast as well. Is micro four thirds good for my needs?. I am not a professional photograph but like to have the best picture quality

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:18 pm 

IF the 60D is in your budget? Couple it with the 50 1,8 and you got a great nightphotography kit.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:21 pm 

Well, you should be asking what lens should you get. Basically, when researching this, look for the biggest aperture. The larger the aperture (the f/** number) the faster your shutter speed will be in similar lighting conditions, and thus less motion blur/camera shake blur. And the LOWER the aperture number, the LARGER the aperture. The largest they get is f/1.2. The price will also increase as aperture increases of course.

Once decided on a lens, then pick a camera that suits the rest of your budget. To further help you out in low light, you will have to increase your ISO. However, the higher your ISO, the nosier the photo. Different bodies perform better at higher ISO's (less noise) than others. So choose the best performer for you budjet. Good luck & welcome to photography!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:12 pm 

Actually, more information is needed to help you decide what you need to buy. There are two very distinct techniques for shooting in low light or at night, depending on what subject and style of shooting you need it for. Nearly all cameras, new and old, P&S or DSLR, can do well with technique #1. Technique #2 requires a good lens choice and a camera adept at high ISO and with good autofocus in poor light.

For landscape shots, scenics, buildings, architecture, and any other still subject, low light photos are best taken with the lowest possible ISO, a tripod, and a long exposure. It will always yield the best quality, sharpness, detail, lowest noise, best color, and complete control over the ambiance and light of the scene. For this, you don't need an especially capable camera.

If, on the other hand, your low light photos are going to be of people, action, moving subjects, street candids, handheld, or any other situation where either the photographer or the subject involves motion that you do not want to blur...then you'll want to look at DSLRs that can shoot at high ISOs with very low noise and good detail retention, and pair that with a good, fast lens. Cameras which are all quite good with high ISO shooting that would be worth considering: Canon T2, Canon 7D, Canon 60D, Nikon D3100, Nikon D7000, Nikon D90, Sony A500/550, Sony A580, Sony A33/55, Sony NEX3/5, Pentax KX, and Pentax KR. As you'll note, prices vary widely, depending on what your budget is. You'd probably want to look at picking up some fast primes - new or used...you'll want lenses that can open up to F1.4 - F1.8 or so, and base the focal length on the types of subjects you intend to shoot. A faster zoom might also suffice, though you won't find zooms that can have as large an aperture as a dedicated prime.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:18 pm 
Quote:
please suggest me a medium budget SLR camera

Please define "medium budget". A Sony A55 with Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for $1100 or Sigma 50-150 f2.8 for $1500, or both for under $2k etc. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm 

I use the canon 550d and canon 50mm 1.4 and they work very well together at night. Definitely worth considering. But you have to know what prime will suit you. Pick your focal range then look at the biggest aperture you can afford.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin