Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: D300s, D7000 or D700?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:26 am 
I know the cameras mentioned are quite varied, but from looking at specs and other forum queries they seem to all have similar specs...ish.
I have been using a D5000 for a while now, for pleasure and for business however Im finding it to be hindering me as it is only an entry level, I mainly take shots for local businesses, local Authorities and Websites, but for fun I Love shooting Landscapes. Now the Video Capability is not a must for me but its always nice to have extra, don't have many lenses just a 50mm f1.8 and a 24mm f2.8, Now my main question is do I go for the D700 as it is more professional and thats what Im aiming for as a career, or do I go for the D300s/D7000 and invest in a new lens to go along side them?
Plus any advice on lenses for the d700?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:38 am 

So, you want to upgrade because you have a better camera then and thus can taking better pictures?

Bad idea.

Invest in lenses for your D5000, because the D5000 is NOT bad and you will take better pictures with the D5000 and some excelent lenses, like the new 70-300.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:59 am 
Josh_T wrote:
I know the cameras mentioned are quite varied, but from looking at specs and other forum queries they seem to all have similar specs...ish.
I have been using a D5000 for a while now, for pleasure and for business however Im finding it to be hindering me as it is only an entry level, I mainly take shots for local businesses, local Authorities and Websites, but for fun I Love shooting Landscapes. Now the Video Capability is not a must for me but its always nice to have extra, don't have many lenses just a 50mm f1.8 and a 24mm f2.8, Now my main question is do I go for the D700 as it is more professional and thats what Im aiming for as a career, or do I go for the D300s/D7000 and invest in a new lens to go along side them?
Plus any advice on lenses for the d700?

What's hindering you with the D5000?

The D700 is obviously an awesome camera, I shoot with one and I love it. But Ruben above advises wisely about picking up some decent lenses as opposed to splashing out on a new camera body. For me, I upgraded to a D700 because I needed the low light capability, as I shoot a lot of low light/indoor events. I'd suggest you think about what is holding you back with your D5000 and perhaps you might be better spending money on lenses than camera body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:53 am 
I agree. Saying "finding it to be hindering me as it is only an entry level" doesnt really explain the situation. You need to explain what the other cameras have that you want/need that the D5000 doesnt.

For example I use my D5000 most of the time because it is so much smaller and lighter than my D300, but in certain situations (hiking/sports/studio work) I will use the D300 for features that I need.

If you're just spending money for the hell of it (not that thats a problem :wink: ) I too would recommend better quality lenses. The camera you buy will be worthless the second you take it out of the shop. A decent lens you will be able to sell for the same price more or less in however many years time.

Looking at the lenses you already have as well, you wont be able to make the most out of a new camera due to their slow autofocussing and not particularly sharpness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:34 pm 
Well the D5000 is a nice camera but unfortunately it doesn't have the nikon CLS, and the screen has quite a low resolution plus it doesn't have a built in motor which means no auto focus on certain lenses. To be honest Im buying now as My Uncle is able to get me a 12.5% discount and before the VAT goes up to 20% =/
I think I will be narrowing my choice down to the D300s and the D7000 as I will be able to get a nice new lens aswell (maybe the sigma 24-70mm f2.8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:12 pm 
I personally think your money would be better spent on no new body and a Nikon 24-70mm, or maybe a new or used D90, as that includes all the things you want/need. I bet a few mint condition D90s will hit the used shelves for a bargain over the next few months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:01 pm 
Reuben and Jeremy are giving sagely advise here. Don't go spending yoru money solely on the premise that a new body will give you better pictures. A used D90 is a very good option to consider. Or -- if you don't need video, then perhaps even a used D80 with low shutter count might also work for you.

I suppose what is confusing me is your comment about needing a better camera because the D5000 is a beginner body. It has the same sensor as the D90, and yes, it may not have that fabulous new AF array of the D7000, yet it's still pretty good at what it does.

If this is a monetarily driven decision what about investing in more lenses?

Best of luck. Let us know how you fare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 pm 
Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I think Im gonna stick with the D5000 and invest in some new lenses :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:40 pm 

Very good idea.
If you need help with choosing lenses....

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies