Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:06 pm 

It comes down to this: If you want the most accurate recommendation, get 5 people in a room - each one shooting a different brand of camera - Sony, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Olympus. Ask them all which is the best way to go, and you'll end up with a 5-way tie...this is the only real answer.

If you want to have the decision made for you, then fill the room only with users of one brand...then you might get consensus that this is the best brand to buy. Which camera comes out on top depends on which brand those users who you invited into the room use.

What we're all trying to tell you is: there IS no best brand, best camera, or best choice. There's only a best choice or model FOR YOU, and only your own hands, eyes, and emotions can make that pick. The Sony, the Canon, or the Nikon - none are simply better cameras than the others. Each person needs to decide for themselves which fits them best. There are happy people shooting with each brand...so worry less and just get out there and pick one, so you can start enjoying photography!

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:00 am 
What Justin said. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:55 am 

The most important part is trying the camera out for yourself, and seeing which one seems best for you. Also, will the camera grow with you? Will it offer what you want a few years down the road? Also take note that once you buy into a brand, generally you'll stick with that brand. My father has some old Nikkor primes from the '70s that I use, so guess which brand I'm buying for an SLR? Nikon, because I have an assortment of AI-S lenses already.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:56 am 
Regarding switching brands -- I would say that while it may be cost prohibitive, it isn't totally impossible. I am seeing a number of my Oly friends selling off and moving to Sony or Nikon these days with their recent product focus on m4/3 and out of the DSLR market as not everyone sees the e-5 as their next camera.

So long as one can afford it, there is nothing really stopping one moving to another brand -- even with an investment in present equipment. The way this stuff is changing these days, who knows what we'll be shooting with in 10 years? I am hoping to see Hasselblad come down to an affordable level by then. Who knows what the future holds indeed?? :wink:

Of course, if you can include in your criteria the notion of growing your kit over time, then the idea of buying into a system as a newbie does make good sense.