Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:06 pm 
Hi wanted to get a entry level dslr as this is my first time getting it,i want to take all types of shots like action and sport,travel outdoor and landscape.
PLS help me :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:56 pm 

Hi I original was stuck between the d3100 and 550d but once I used the d3100 in the shop I instantly didn't want it. The d3100 is a VERY beginner dslr. If you are a complete beginner you may like it but I went for the 550d and it is a great camera. Also check out the d5000 it is more of a rival for the 550d :D

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:05 pm 

I'd personally recommend you figure out a maximum budget you're willing to spend, then take a look at all DSLRs that fit within that price range. All DSLRs can do the types of things you want...so it's more a matter of comparing features, figuring out what lenses to get, and making sure you're comfortable holding and shooting with the camera. You can stick with only chocolate or vanilla (Canon or Nikon), or you might consider opening yourself up to other flavors as there are more flavors out there in the world that are just as tasty (Sony, Pentax, Olympus).

One thing you don't need to worry about - getting a bad DSLR. There really aren't any - so whatever you get will be good and more than capable of handling all your needs - and if you're a beginner, the camera will be far more capable than you for quite some time, so plenty of room to learn and grow.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:11 pm 
+1 on Justin's comments.

I would add that you would probably do well to consider investing in a good photography class (not a "how-to-use-a-dslr-class). There is no substitute for good instruction on basic things such as composition, exposure, etc.

A DSLR on its own won't guarantee you good pictures of anything -- people take pictures, not cameras. I know people who can take quite good shots with a 5MP mobile phone camera.

Insofar as features, etc. -- Canon will tend to pack more photographic features in their entry-level cameras than Nikon -- but many people find that Nikon's entry models are more solidly built than Canon's. It's always a trade-off no matter how you choose. Nevertheless, the best way to choose -- as already alluded to above -- get into a camera shop and get cameras in your budget into your hands to see what fits and feels best --- and don't forget that ergonomics includes the user interface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:49 pm 

The d3100 is a very beginners camera. I have had a dslr for 3 months and when I went into the shop last weekend I tried the d3100 and d5000 again (not really sure why. Just wanted to have a look at all the cameras again. Including the Canon 1d mk4. And OMG WHAT A CAMERA IT IS). I already felt as though I had outgrown the d3100. It is designed to be a FAMILY camera (the advert has a small child taking pictures). It is designed to be used in the Auto modes. Also the d3100 looks very old and the build quality isn't that good. I would strongly recommend not getting this camera. If you still want a Nikon the d5000 is about the same price and is a MUCH better camera. :D

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:15 am 
I wanted to take action and sport shots,travel outdoor shots and landscape shots.so wanted to know that Canon 550d or Nikon d3100 is better at taking this type of shots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:46 am 

Unfortunately, the reality is that all the DSLRs can handle your needs easily. All of your types of shooting. For consumer-level, there's not much advantage one way or the other. When talking about professional level, differences begin to emerge - but none of the cameras you are considering are professional. People say 'sports' but they're not referring to a need for 10-15 frames per second on a full frame sensor at ISO6400 with a 1000mm lens...that's for the Sports Illustrated guy.

Will the Canon or Nikon you listed be significantly better than eachother? Not really - the lens and the photographer behind either will make a much bigger difference than some 3% better speed or 1% better image quality in some certain parameter. Throw in the Pentax KX and KR, the Sony A550, 580, and A33/55, and the Nikon D5000...they're all good too, and all can be in the same price vicinity. All will be very similar in performance, with just a few features here or there to distinguish them.

Decide what you need or want the most. Do you like small cameras or larger? Fat grips, deep grips, or small grips? Do you want stabilization built into the camera body? Do you intend to use video features? Do you want any live view capability at all, or maybe will you want to use it often? How fast of a frame rate do you think you'll need or want? All of these questions might figure out that one particular camera has the edge in delivering the ergonomics that would be best for you, and give you the most desired features with the least compromises for your use.

Consider the D3100, the D5000, the Canon 550D, the Pentax KX, the KR, the Sony A550, the A580, and the A33 and A55. All are worth a look, and might be the best choice for you. All can do what you want, easily. All have room to grow, all have decent lenses available, and some may have particular performance specs or features that leap out at you and make you say "that's what I want".

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:43 am 
Wanted to know that which dslr is better,Canon 550D, the Sony A550, the A580, and the A33 and A55?
Please let me know?Really hard to decide on which one to buy :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:06 am 

Hello LeoWind, and welcome to the friendly Cameralabs forum!

To help answer your question, I must say that in my opinion, the most important aspect to look at when purchasing a new camera (Let alone ANY portable/hand-held electronic) is ergonomics. For instance, if camera A has a feature that you really like, but camera B has ergonomics that are far superior and more comfortable in your hand when compared to camera A, then camera B would be the best bet. Remember that if the camera is uncomfortable in your hands then you'll rue the day that you'll have to take it our for x amount of hours. Holding an uncomfortable camera is terrible! Don't mind what others say about how the camera feels, if they say "Don't buy the 550D because it doesn't feel good in your hands", ignore it. The only way to tell if something feels good is if the feel appeals to you. Go to the store and try each one out, which one feels better in your hands?

As Zackie mentioned, the lens and the photographer are far superior to the body. I like to say that the camera lens accounts for 8% of the image, the camera body accounts for 2% and the photographer accounts for 90% of the image. I'm a Nikon shooter myself (Mainly because of the 30 year old collection of primes that I have) and when I purchase a new camera (Nikon D7000) I have ruled out the kit lenses (18-55 and 18-105). The Nikkor 16-85 is sharper, it goes wider and it has a better build. This is important when purchasing a lens, which is why it would be a good choice. As I like to say, "Bodies come and go, but glass is forever". What this means is that a camera body often gets outdated and is soon replaced, but camera lenses last a long time and you can use them on many cameras to come.

All in all, I'd recommend trying each camera out and seeing which one feels the best in your hands. When you decide on which one to purchase consider which lens/lenses you will purchase with the camera. As I said, the lens is more important than the camera body itself!

I hope that I helped!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:18 am 
i am intending to use just a 18-55 lens first as i am a first time buyer,I just wanted to know that which one is better for a first time beginner to use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:27 am 

For the Nikons, I would probably go for the Nikkor 35mm AF-S F1.8. It's certainly much sharper and faster than the 18-55, it's a better build and it's small and lightweight. Unfortunately, it lacks the VR and a zoom. Although VR isn't needed with this focal length and with F1.8, and 35mm is a good in between point if there's no zoom.

For the Canons, I would recommend the Canon 50mm EF f/1.8. It's built for full-frame cameras, so it would give you about a 75mm area. This is getting a bit long, although it would work.

Anything from 35mm-55mm is generally considered a "Normal Lens", which is equivalent to what the human eye can see. The lenses in this range are generally fast, sharp and inexpensive. I would look at those lenses.

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:58 am 
Which dslr camera shld i buy?Canon 550d or sony alpha 33?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:36 am 

Almost every dSLR will fit you. Ive got the idea you havent read all that's said here.

Go to a shop with a budget, try some, and buy. No dSLR is bad atm.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:13 pm 

Hi leowind_93,

Don't forget you can edit the title of your own threads - just edit the first post. This time I've done it for you to reflect the widening of your search. Much better not to start new threads which overlap with existing ones as doing so risks wasting other member's time composing answers already given in the original thread. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:57 pm 
+1 to what Reuben said. Oh -- and if you are comfortable with 4/3, you may want to include the e-620 in the mix/ Admittedly, Olympus hasn't been focusing of late as much on developing their 4/3 line as much as their m4/3 line, of which I am personally still not a huge fan. But the e-620 is a real dark horse and not only has possibly the easiest to use menu system via their Super Control Panel, it also has probably the best quality entry level glass of what is available.

Otherwise -- as previously noted by quite of few of us responding to you ---- be clear on your next steps:

1. get into a proper camera shop and handle all your candidates. You will find nuances of the body design or menu system that will not sit well with you for some, while others will simply feel totally natural to you.

2. Don't get fooled into thinking that there is one truly "best" camera -- any entry level DSLR will give you the opportunity to take your photography to the next level.

3. Don't expect that pictures will automatically become way better just because you are shooting with a DSLR -- good photographers take good pictures, good cameras are only as good as the photographer behind them.

Enjoy the hunt. Let us know if you have other specific questions -- we are always close by to provide opinions/responses. :D