Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: £1000 to spend not sure
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:14 am 
I have around £1000 to spend on a new first time DSLR and lens'.

Looking at either D7000 or 550D or 60D . Bit unsure need some sensible advise

Your views please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:28 am 

Hello Chucky, and welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, we need a bit more information. What will you be shooting? How important is video? Do you need to use the burst mode for long periods of time? I personally prefer the D7000 over the 60D, although they're both solid cameras. Id you went 550D, you'd have more money to throw around for some decent glass, but it's your call.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:45 am 
Thank you

Do like to shoot motor and water sports so the faster shooting capablitly of the 60D for longer periods might be better but not major part of my photography. A lot of my shooting is on holiday also with scenic scenes and some portrait which im led to understand would greatly benifit from a better non kit lens.

Video isnt going to be a major part tho but will be used occationally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:52 am 

I own a D7000, and the so-called "Short Buffer" hasn't been an issue for me yet. So far, I've only shot large JPEGs (Normal and Fine), but no RAW as at the current moment my PC doesn't have the appropriate software to handle it. I think I got 35 or 36 frames with the 6 FPS mode with large JPEG fine in my test, which should be enough. Sure, the 60D can go longer, but do you really need to capture for that long? 6 seconds is fine for me, but it's your call which is right for you.

Lens wise, the 18-55 and the 18-105 are fine lenses, but as you mentioned, you'll greatly benefit from a better lens. I use the Nikkor 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR ii, which works great! It's much sharper than the kit lenses, despite it's higher cost. You could also look at a prime like the Nikkor 35mm F1.8 lens, it will really help you indoors without boosting your ISO to something obscurely high like 12 000! Laos keep in mind that if you so scenic shots, a designated W/A lens like the Nikkor 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 would work nicely, and don't worry about it being slow, chances are you'd primarily use it outdoors. For the video mode, the 60D has a slight edge over the D7000, although Nikon is catchig up in the video world.

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:42 am 
Thanks. I thought I liked the NIKON on paper more than the Canon. But there seems to be more advantages in design with the 60d.

Not to sure now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:54 am 

Only thing I can say is read those reviews from Gordon... Be sure to check the D7000's review btw, there is some nice video shots in the design page.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 am 

Go to your local camera store and try each one out. Which one feels better in your hands? I personally prefer the feel and grip of the Nikons, however you may prefer the Canons. This is what purchasing a camera really comes down to, the feel and grip.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:05 am 
My advice is to not get to caught up in the specs of each camera. Go to a shop as said above and have a feel of each one. Who cares if one has faster shooting if the shutter button is in an uncomfortable position for you? See which camera has the buttons laid out in a logical and comfortable position.

Also, as a rule of thumb, in this price range Id aim to spend about half on the body, half on the lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:40 am 

If you find the 550D to be good, then a very nice set would be the 550D+ 15-85 IS USM. BUT, the 550D's continuous shooting isnt that fast, but then the 60D (if you find that one comfortable) with the 17-50 2,8 from Tamron should be a nice choice.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:37 pm 
My suggestion -- less body and more glass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:13 pm 

to the OP,
It is interesting how you have not mentioned lenses. :D

If you are a beginner, then the kit lens (one that comes with the camera) are decent enough as a multi purpose lens.

Their minimum focal apertures will usually be F/3.5-5.6 depending on how far it is zoomed, so they are not great for low light, but are good for starters. I have used the 18-55mm kit lens with flash indoors, and without flash outdoors, and it works fine.

The lens is important as well, not just the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:44 pm 
Thats what i heard about the 18-105VR .

Thing is after looking at several bases i would really like to start with the D7000 and sort an extra lens later.

:)

Will have to wait for low light conditions with this lens i think. Whats the lowest F No. for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:53 pm 

At 18mm, you get F3.5, and most likely you won't be going super wide indoors. You can assume that you'll use an aperture somewhere in the fours, partially zoomed in,

For a really good all purpose lens, you could step up to the 16-85, and for indoors some fast glass like the 35mm F1.8 would never hurt (Or you could invest in something like an SB-600 or SB-700 for low light).

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:01 pm 
Both look affordable as well but what about a 50mm ? What the talk about these or would the 35mm be ok for main use

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:12 pm 

Evan, youre really advertising your own stuff, arent you? :lol:
Okay, I wont offense you, and you have to know Im really happy for you that you finally have your dream camera (!), but youre really often telling people to buy the D7000 because it's such a great camera. It is a great camera, but the most important is that it is not cheap. It could be the best mid-range camera, but for much less the D90, and then with a better lens is a much better kit than the D7000 with less good glass. Still, Pentax has some great dSLRs, like Sony, Canon, Olympus and Panasonic. Dont forget to mention though it's very important to feel the camera in your hands other than say the D7000 is just great. I repeat: the D7000 is great, and I understand youre advising people to buy it because you like it because of those reasons, but many people complained about the small buffer, and if you buy such an expensive camera you will probably use the RAW+JPEG instead of L-JPEG. And then the buffer is way too small. Of course you will not tell people after spending such a lot of money (youre a teenager arent you?) that your camera is bad. I can understand that, really! After I bought my FZ28 a time ago of course I said everybody looking for a new good camera the FZ28 is just great, but there are so many other cameras!

Evan, dont get me wrong. I really like you at the forum, but I had to say it. I hope you will understand me...

To get OT: The 18-105 is a great lens, but for indoors you probably want a fast prime, like the 35 or 50 versions.