Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:23 pm 
I'm looking to get a DSLR mainly for shooting video, but I am also interested in taking pictures. I have no specific categories of what I am going to be shooting though.

I was looking to spend no more than £300 really, but I think I'll need to stretch the budget judging by the prices :S

I've found both the Pentax K-x and Pentax K-r for £350 and £400, which of the two would you recommend? Also, any other models are welcome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 pm 
If your primary purpose is video, why not a dedicated video product? Not sure what you are getting making a DSLR with video your main video camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:51 pm 

@ jwnrw, Tek_Warfare says he is also interested in photography. DSLRs can shoot video and photos. Dedicated video cameras can only really take videos (yes they can take photos, but very badly).

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:53 pm 
Yep, I'm looking for a DSLR specifically :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:15 pm 

Maybe the Panasonic GF1? Or the older LX3?

Considered the Olympus PEN series?

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:37 pm 
If you are absolutely sold on the notion of a DSLR with video, then besides the cameras noted above, you may wish to consider the Nikon D3100 or the Canon T2i - or their older T1i. I would think any of those cameras will suit your needs.

Given your budget, you are not in the realm of something like a D90 or D7000. Personally, I think that you will be challenged at your stated price point. Don't forget the accessories to complete your kit -- a good bag, memory cards, etc. You'll need to include that in your budget. Perhaps considering a used D5000 or T1i might work? I am not sure what the price points are in the used equipment market for either of these cameras - you'll need to check around for that data.

I suggest you get into a proper camera shop and handle some cameras. The one which feels best in your hands and most user friendly to you will likely be the one you will end up with. A good camera sales rep will be honest and give you good information based on your budget, perceived needs, etc.

Last edited by jwnrw on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:43 pm 

I would suggest a 500d/t1i. It is not as good as the 550d/t2i at video but is closer to your budget. In the uk you can pick one up for around £500.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:25 pm 
Thanks for the replies :D

I've looked at all teh models mentioned but they exceed my budget; it's fixed at £400, I can't spend £500 :\

Anyway, I've added the Nikon D3100 to the equation, this seems better than the two I have mentioned in terms of video, and that is my main priority, but I'll also like to take photos :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:33 am 
no one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:13 pm 

Looked at the cameras I mentioned?

Look in the used market if you cant find the camera you want to have, if it doesnt fit your budget.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:18 pm 

You might also have a glance at the Sony A33 (under $600 US) or A55. Depends on what you understand of 'video' on a DSLR...note that video in a DSLR offers good aperture control and super-shallow depth of field, but autofocus varies from mediocre to non-existent. Many folks used to shooting video with a video dedicated device have no idea that autofocus doesn't work the same as it does with a video camera, and become surprised or dismayed at how dismal, slow, or unachievable autofocus can be with a DSLR. All of the talk about how 'professional cinematographers' are using DSLRs to shoot TV shows and videos can be misleading, as the average consumer doesn't really consider that this is a trained professional adept at manual aperture control and focus, with steadycams, cranes, multiple fixed cameras, etc. They think they can pick up the same DSLR and a kit lens and go shoot Lord of the Rings with it. They can't.

The thing that might make the Sony A33/55 a good bet is that they can autofocus significantly better than other DSLRs, by far. They are better tuned to consumer-level video because of their ability to use phase-detect autofocus and continuous live view feed together. This makes using the A33/55 as a video camera feel as seamless and normal as using a camcorder...but with interchangeable DSLR lenses.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:40 pm 
Being so closely budget-tied, you are down to the one option -- Nikon's D3100. It's not a bad camera, and will do what you want -- but if you want my advise -- save some more money, and get more camera -- the D3100 is lacking in at least one very useful photographic features -- auto-bracketing. Also - the guide system is useful for a beginner, but to be honest, you could learn all that stuff from the web or from taking a good beginner's class. Nikon tend to layer their menus on their entry-level cameras -- the D90 is head and shoulders above the D3100 in functionality/usability, imo - it has two adjust wheels, more direct-function buttons on the body, and will work with all Nikon AF lenses, not just the new ones with the AF motor in the lens.

Again -- it's not a bad camera, and if you simply can't wait, then you really don't have much choice -- but I would at least think it through. While you are thinking - get into a camera shop and play around with one -- you'll soon get a sense about how comfortable you are with the ergonomics, and whether you can live with the somewhat cumbersome menu system.

Or -- perhaps you should rethink whether you need a DSLR with video or whether you should just simply invest in a video camera now, and a DSLR later -- I know we have been down this path already -- but it is still an option if funds are that tight/limited for you. It is not an inexpensive hobby/pursuit.