Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:21 am 
Ive seen the review by Kai on DigitalRev, but i didnt find that very thorough / conclusive.... Looking forward to a review right here on Camera Labs or on dpreview...

Ive sold my entire previous Nikon Kit, thats why i can select any brand at this point... i agree about the lens, so am going to pick up either body only (7D or D7000) and then pick up an L series or Nikon equivalent lens as the case may be...

Either camera is a bit OTT for me, but i am quite passionate about photography and want a camera that i can grow into over the next few years...

Thanks ALL for the help, am going to hit the stores on Saturday, am gonna see that feels best in my hand now and just take the plunge..... will post what i purchased that evening... Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:43 pm 

Whichever you pick, you can't go wrong. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:08 pm 
A D400 would be in correct comparisson with the 7D,like the 60D is with the D7000. The D7000 is better than the 60D,but the present D300s is lacking the better movie mode & high megapixel count of the 7D. (& maybe a more powerful processor to provide the high speed shooting)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:19 pm 
:-)
I just got the 7D! The AF is awesome! the camera is built like a tank (esp after using the D5000) got the 18/200 IS and 50 1.8 prime...
Can't wait to head out tommorrow morning to Marine Drive in Mumbai to take some shots of the sunrise and the promenade!
Thanks all for the help!
Cheers, K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:53 pm 

Congratulations kunal, enjoy.

Stayed near `The Gateway of India` a few years ago (not the Taj, unfortunately) & absolutely loved Bombay. Get a few pics of all the cabs! :shock: & the Dobi wallers.
Is Cafe Mondegar still open?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:41 am 
Hi, yea cafe mondegar is a legend n still going strong!
Did u go to leopolds? That's quite a popular cafe as well, just a block from mondegar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:02 am 

Yes we called in at Leopold (presume the same place) & one night went into The Crown & Anchor bar, where Indian ladies served your drinks at the table (very dark & seedy place)

Stayed @ Shelleys Hotel, near the end of Strand Rd.

Also went on a trip across to Elephant Island, which was reatively quiet & tranquil, up to the chaos that is Bombay/Mumbai.

I'd like to visit again, absolutely loved India!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:15 am 

Enjoy your new camera Kunal! The 7D certainly is a capable machine!

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:06 am 
Kunal, why did you end up choosing the 7D?

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. I have no preference for any system (Canon or Nikon; Pentax is not very easy to find here in Brazil). I would like the camera to have weather sealing.

I'm currently torn between the Canon 7D and the Nikon D7000. On the Canon side, I'm worried about the banding issues that have been reported on the 7D, and also the DxO results (although to be honest I don't yet have the technical knowledge to understand how relevant it is). I'm also worried about people saying how Canon is just worried about the megapixel race and most new developments are happening on the other vendors side (I have no idea how much of this is true. It just worries be because this is a large investment).

On the Nikon side what worries me the most is the hot pixel issues people have been reporting (although it seems now there'll be a firmware upgrade to fix at least the video problems). The size of the camera also worries me a bit. I've never held one, but it's the same dimensions of the D90, which feels a bit too small in my hands compared to the 7D. Does anyone know if the D7000 feel about the same as the D90?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:15 pm 
Quote:
but it's the same dimensions of the D90, which feels a bit too small in my hands compared to the 7D. Does anyone know if the D7000 feel about the same as the D90?

The D7000 feels very much like the D90 - too small for my hands too.

Check out the following reviews:
Canon 7D: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_7D/ "It may not boast the full-frame sensor and the ultimate image quality of the 5D Mark II, but in every other respect it excels. Taking everything into consideration, the EOS 7D is arguably Canon’s most successful and satisfying overall DSLR to date." Nov 2009

Canon 7D: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/ (84%) "If you can justify the price tag it's hard to fault Canon's new APS-C flagship. With class-leading image quality, fast operation and excellent handling the EOS 7D is everything a semi-pro model should be, and the excellent movie mode will be a welcome bonus to those that like their pictures to move. Arguably the best APS-C SLR on the market today." Nov 2009

Nikon D7000: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/ (80%) "The D7000 produces great image quality and feels very responsive in most shooting situations. It shines especially in low light. From a specification point of view a 16.3 MP resolution sensor, 6 frames per second continuous shooting, 1080p full HD video and an abundance of customization options place this camera firmly into the upper end of the mid-range segment of the market. " Nov 2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 am 
Doesn't it feel at least a bit bulkier than the d90?

I've limited my choices two the two possibilities below, given my budget:

• 7D + 18-135mm kit, Canon 10-22mm for wide angle (used), 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2 prime; or
  • D7000 + 18-105 kit, Tokina 12-24mm or Sigma 10-20mm for wide angle, Nikkor 50mm or 35mm f/1.8 prime.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:25 pm 
I think in the nikon kit you should sub out the wide angle for a tokina 11-16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:50 pm 
I considered it but couldn't find it anywhere here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:44 pm 

This one? http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... 9363#79363

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:13 pm 
I meant here in Brazil :)